I pulled the SCL pad off the GPIO, also can't seem to connect ground

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
sygyzy

I pulled the SCL pad off the GPIO, also can't seem to connect ground

Post by sygyzy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:56 am

Hi,

I have two issues related to soldering and they happen to be stacked on top of each other. All my other GPIO pins are connected and pass continuity tests.

Ground - I spent over half an hour trying to get ground connected and all I managed to do is overload it with solder (I keep getting bad/cold joints for some reason). I have a hard to reflowing it, even with a very hot iron. When I am successful, I am trying to slowly brush/clear away solder so I can get my tip in there to flow it down. I tried wicking tape but the joint is very dull/cold and hardly melts with direct contact with the iron, so it definitely doesn't melt with the copper tape touching it. Maybe I testing it wrong? I assume I can connect it to ANY ground pad, right? Any advice?

SCL - Directly below that is the SCL pad. Somehow I managed to remove the copper trace around the GPIO hole for SCL. I just have bare board there. I am surprised I did this. It was an accident. Does this mean I can no longer solder a connection to this hole? Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: I pulled the SCL pad off the GPIO, also can't seem to connect ground

Post by Helder » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:13 am

Pictures help determine how bad it is and how to possibly fix it also what kind of soldering iron and solder do you have.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sygyzy

Re: I pulled the SCL pad off the GPIO, also can't seem to connect ground

Post by sygyzy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 am

Hi, I was able to fix the SCL issue. I went back and found some bad connections and I think they are all fixed now. The only one left is ground which I will try tonight. I can take pictures of the iron but it's a pretty nice one with adjustable temp and it takes standard Hakko style tips. I bought a pack if the pencil thin tips you recommended and they easily fit inside the GPIO holes. That's how I was able to get the rest of the pins connected. The ground one is just being really finnicky. I am noticing I am damaging the copper pad with repeatedly putting solder on and cleaning excess off, in trying to solve this.

I was also able to use solder wick by switching to a blade tip (wider) which lets the iron apply heat over a broader area.

I will try again tonight. I think I am close!