What can I salvage from this?

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Pentium

What can I salvage from this?

Post by Pentium » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 pm

After a half year of hard work, multiple mental breakdowns, and multiple accidents involving direct contact with a soldering iron....

Nothing. I've been working on this one mintypi, my first ever project, for half a year now, and I'm pretty sure it's done for.

The charging port has been superglued... in the wrong place. So the cable won't plug in unless I chop up the tin more.

I ripped off a USB golden data pad, so no sound card anymore I would assume.

The dang thing won't turn on! I try it first time, it works, but now, by battery and cable, it won't even turn the indicator light on!

It doesn't have the IPS screen, it doesn't have a battery monitor, and the ground power pad has been ripped off.

What can I salvage from this train wreck?
Attachments
Photo on 10-27-17 at 3.56 PM.jpg
wiring- before the usb golden pad was ripped off...
Photo on 10-27-17 at 3.56 PM.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 3856 times

Pentium

Re: What can I salvage from this?

Post by Pentium » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:20 am

I'm actually so done, after so much work, it won't even turn on!
I feel like smashing it into the ground right now.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Really sorry to see this happened to your build. I would suggest you get some soldering practice in and give it a go again. Buy some soldering kits from eBay and master those.

You can always pick up a basic mintyPi button pcb from wermy. He sells them cheap.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Use better solder too like 63/37 not that 60/40 I can see you used, a temperature controlled Iron is also recommended and practice a bit before actually tackling something like this project.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 pm

Hopefully you can salvage everything.

Sound card has alternate solder points if you pulled pads off.

If your power boost is glued down and you can't get it out then you might have to cut the tin more. Might not be as pretty though. But if it isn't working might be with pulling out (even if it breaks) to replace.

Also, if you don't have one, buy or borrow a multimeter. And check continuity all the time!

If it's not powering on the first thing I would do it reflow the vcc and ground gpios and make sure you have good continuity with the test pads.

I hope you can get it working! Sometimes taking a break and doing something different can help. Come back with a fresh mind!

Worst case, maybe someone can help you out? Where in the world are you?