Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
User avatar
Indian Hobo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by Indian Hobo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 am

I recently made a minty pi with the latest version of Helder's PCB (the blue one). At first all was well but recently the system started freezing after about five minutes of use. While in-game, the sound continues to play, but the screen is frozen, and I am unable to exit the game. If left on the main menu of emulationstation, the system will also freeze. Any help would be welcome.

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by wermy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Try SSHing into it (there is a guide here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-ssh ... pberry-Pi/ -- you can skip the part about enabling ssh), and editing the file /etc/modprobe.d/fbtft.conf. Change the "speed=" bit to "speed=60000000" and see if that clears it up.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Indian Hobo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by Indian Hobo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm

wermy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm
Try SSHing into it (there is a guide here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-ssh ... pberry-Pi/ -- you can skip the part about enabling ssh), and editing the file /etc/modprobe.d/fbtft.conf. Change the "speed=" bit to "speed=60000000" and see if that clears it up.
I tried that, but the problem didn't go away. The sound continues to play, but if I press the start and select buttons to try and exit the game, the sound continues to play. This makes me think that the problem isn't related the screen itself but rather something in emulation station that's making the game crash. It typically happens more often when I'm playing a GBA game than when I play SNES, so maybe it has to do with the demand the GBA game is putting on the system.

Thanks for the help.

User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 595 times
Been thanked: 580 times

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by rodocop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Just started playing my minty pi...zelda Oracle of ages. Played for an hour. Took a break. Now in the past 20 mins the game has frozen twice, sound continues. But no buttons work at all. Have to reset it...

Was advised to lower overclock. Lowered arm freq to 950 and over voltage to 3. Seems to be okay now...but I may just remove the overclock completely.

User avatar
sevenBug
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Schleswig-Hollstein / Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by sevenBug » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

rodocop wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm
Just started playing my minty pi...zelda Oracle of ages. Played for an hour. Took a break. Now in the past 20 mins the game has frozen twice, sound continues. But no buttons work at all. Have to reset it...

Was advised to lower overclock. Lowered arm freq to 950 and over voltage to 3. Seems to be okay now...but I may just remove the overclock completely.
Lowered the over voltage to 3V? Isn't it 2V by dafault?

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm

No, you lower the over_voltage parameter, it's not the same thing
read here https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... erclocking and here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md

SELF EDIT : self kick myself, you were talking about that, i have not read you correctly lol
Follow me on instagram Image

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

This table describes the overvoltage settings for the various Pi models. The firmware uses Adaptive Voltage Scaling (AVS) to determine the optimum voltage to set. Note that for each integer rise in over_voltage, the voltage will be 25mV higher.
Version Default Overvoltage Setting
Pi 1 1.2V 0
Pi 2 1.2-1.3125V 0
Pi 3 1.2-1.3125V 0
Pi Zero 1.35V 6
Follow me on instagram Image

User avatar
sevenBug
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Schleswig-Hollstein / Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by sevenBug » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm

YaYa wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm
This table describes the overvoltage settings for the various Pi models. The firmware uses Adaptive Voltage Scaling (AVS) to determine the optimum voltage to set. Note that for each integer rise in over_voltage, the voltage will be 25mV higher.
Version Default Overvoltage Setting
Pi 1 1.2V 0
Pi 2 1.2-1.3125V 0
Pi 3 1.2-1.3125V 0
Pi Zero 1.35V 6
So i should use 6 and not 3? :oops:

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes, it's the default voltage setting for the Pi Zero as written in the official documentation. You must understand that the default value will likely void the overclocking settings as you voltage will be higher, you won't be able to go up in frequencies
Follow me on instagram Image

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 pm

If you intend to suppress overclocking, just delete all the lines in the config.txt
this will make the pi run stock frequencies
Follow me on instagram Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest