Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
rodocop

Re: Mintypi Freezing Mid-Game

Post by rodocop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I've since removed all overclock settings. No more freezing issues yet.

sevenBug

Post by sevenBug » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm

rodocop wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm
I've since removed all overclock settings. No more freezing issues yet.
I did too. But some games where still freezing, so I decided to turn it back on since some games don't run properly without. And the music in SMW2 is still laggy. :cry:

Even though I have many experience with elektroniks, I never overclocked anything and I never learned that in my job.
Sorry for acting like a little dumbass. :oops:

CaptainSagi

Post by CaptainSagi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi there.
I have successfully built a MintyPi as well, but I am experiencing the Freezes. It is exactly as OP describes it - the screen freezes, but the sound continues. None of the buttons work - all I can do is to cut the power.
It has so far only been while playing Game Boy Color games - I have yet to try GBA.
Sometimes it is after 5 minutes - other times it is hours before it happens. The pi doesn't get warm.
Has anyone found a certified solution to this, and an explanation to what the problem is? Is it HW or SW related?
Any help is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
C

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:19 pm

CaptainSagi wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm
Hi there.
I have successfully built a MintyPi as well, but I am experiencing the Freezes. It is exactly as OP describes it - the screen freezes, but the sound continues. None of the buttons work - all I can do is to cut the power.
It has so far only been while playing Game Boy Color games - I have yet to try GBA.
Sometimes it is after 5 minutes - other times it is hours before it happens. The pi doesn't get warm.
Has anyone found a certified solution to this, and an explanation to what the problem is? Is it HW or SW related?
Any help is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
C
Ive since installed the thermal pad between the pi and battery and removed the overclock. Have not had a freeze since then. But I have not put that many hours on to fully confirm.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm

It's definitely a software issue but we aren't sure exactly what causes it but it has to do with the frame buffer software causing a hiccup and therefore the screen freezes but sound plays.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Drake Sirlit

Post by Drake Sirlit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Anyone find any other decent solutions to this freezing other than removing overclock? I've tried this but my GBA games are still freezing. Everything looks to be running fine, no stuttering or slowness, and all of a sudden the system freezes. No buttons work and I have to shut down by turning off the power switch. Tested in LOZ LTTP and LOZ the minish cap, games will sometimes work as long as an hour but other times only 15 minutes.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

No, there is no fix for now
Follow me on instagram Image

Drake Sirlit

Post by Drake Sirlit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 pm

I've seen a lot of troubleshooting tips for the raspberry pie mention to use a different power supply. Does Helder's PCB regulate the voltage going to the raspberry pie or is it just fed the voltage straight from the LiPo.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 pm

The power is supplied via the charging board, helder does nothing with that :D
Follow me on instagram Image

Drake Sirlit

Post by Drake Sirlit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Right, but the latest recommended board does not regulate the power from my understanding, it just charges the LiPo.

Edit: So my real question is, when the LiPo is drained to 3.7 volts is the rPi seeing that 3.7v or is the voltage stepped up to 5v through the pcb somehow before getting to the rPi. LMK if I'm not making sense as I generally am horrible at explaining my lines of thought.