LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm

if it showed something then wen't completely white there is a bad solder joint in one of the serial lines. Do a continuity tes from the LCD GPIOs to the LCD test pads which I highlighted in yellow and see if everything checks out.

Remember VCC on the LCD is 3.3v on the GPIO writings, also what is the voltage on the lcd board when it's powered? (check VCC and GND on the LCD Board)
Attachments
LCD.jpg
LCD.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 3615 times
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm
if it showed something then wen't completely white there is a bad solder joint in one of the serial lines. Do a continuity tes from the LCD GPIOs to the LCD test pads which I highlighted in yellow and see if everything checks out.

Remember VCC on the LCD is 3.3v on the GPIO writings, also what is the voltage on the lcd board when it's powered? (check VCC and GND on the LCD Board)

The highlighted joints all test for good continuity.
The voltage of VCC and GND on the LCD Board when plugged in reads 3.29V.
Are there any other points I should check voltage?

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Also, I notice you have "mode" highlighted in the image. Which LCD test pad checks that continuity?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Mode is irrelevant to the LCD working. Ok so the other thing that might be an issue is a bad SD card or bad Pi. Remove the LCD (remove the ribbon) from the controller PCB and plug the pi to the TV only and boot it up if all is good and it booths then somehow you have something on the LCD board shorting or just broken BUT if it does the same thing I would get another NEW Sd card to flash the image and test it again.

I have some Chinese knock off and it crashes the OS from booting up because it's a fake piece of shit with tons of bad sectors.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Sun May 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I had to order an adapter to connect to the pi zero HDMI port. Nothing appeared on the screen so I think something is broken on the pi. I bought the pi zero w from adafruit.com. I doubt they sell knockoffs. I put the SD card in a working raspberry pi and it works. I'll buy another pi zero w and try again.

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 pm

I ordered a new raspberry pi zero and connected connected the micro sd and the hdmi cable via the adapter. Nothing appeared on the tv. Switched out the sd card with one that works with my pi 3 b and still nothing. Tried both sd cards in the pi 3 b and they work. I'm wondering if the adapter I bought does work. This what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FH ... UTF8&psc=1
The reviews aren't great. I'll try a different adapter and report back later.

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Thu May 24, 2018 4:35 pm

The new adapter came in today and worked. Retropie loaded fine connected to a tv. So I'm thinking the problem is the screen. With continuity not being an issue to the screen what else can I do to troubleshoot?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri May 25, 2018 1:29 am

Did you add extra solder to the ribbon connector pins like other people in this thread have done?