Pi doesn‘t boot

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
beardedviking

Re: Pi doesn‘t boot

Post by beardedviking » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 am

Helder wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 pm
I'm pretty sure you have power grounded. Use a multimeter and test continuity from VCC to any GND pad, if there's continuity there is your problem.

What kind of soldering iron tip are you using? You could've put too much solder on the 5v GPIO and it spread to the GND GPIO to the left of it.
I thought I checked this but now that I think about it I'm not so sure. I will investigate tonight. Thanks for the hint. You've earned yourself a beer if this solves it (and I mean that).

beardedviking

Post by beardedviking » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

Okay, I tested for continuity between VCC and Ground and got nothing. No beep. It gave me some readings on the display though but I don't know how to interpret them. Usually the multimeter shows a "1" when there is no continuity and a 4 or 3 digit value that rapidly drops to "0" when there is continuity (along with the audible beep). When I connect VCC and Ground the value is either above 1500 or 400, depending on which end of the multimeter I hold to which pad/pin. But it does not drop to 0 and also makes no beep sound.

The Pi is still dead when I connect a power supply.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Try hooking up the Pi to a power supply and HDMI and remove the LCD from the build to see if that is the problem.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

beardedviking

Post by beardedviking » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 am

I was a bit busy the last couple of days, so I couldn't test this yet. If this does not work, do you think I could separate the Pi and the PCB with like a Dremel tool?

I ordered a new Pi Zero and I'm thinking about connecting it to the PCB via the testpads after the old Pi is removed (this time I will test the Pi before connecting it to the board).

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 am

I would not use a dremel for that. you will likely destroy the pi and the pcb.

Best bet it to wick up as much solder as possible, with solder wick, and ideally use a hot air rework station to heat it up enough over the gpios to remove the pi. It won't be easy to remove.

beardedviking

Post by beardedviking » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

See, that's the problem right there. I don't have a hot air station and I also don't know anyone who does. But I would be willing to sacrifice the Pi. ;)

But as I saw in the other thread with the (seemingly) exact same problem where the guy got it to run by simply switching to another SD card I will try that first.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

yeah, exhaust all options before resorting to taking the pi off I guess.

beardedviking

Post by beardedviking » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 am

Okay, new SD cards didn't do anything. When I plug in the power supply nothing happens. No blinking LEDs, no working screen, nothing.

It's dead, Jim.

I bought a few different solder tips and will try to get the Pi of the board with alot of patience. Maybe I can save at least the board or the Pi. If not… well, let's hope Helder's producing a new batch of boards soon. I hate to waste the money but as we say in Germany: I guess "I have to eat that sour apple".