Audio

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
EC2017

Audio

Post by EC2017 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Can you use an audio amplifier such as this one https://www.adafruit.com/product/2130 for the minty pi. it seems smaller than the usb sound card. If you can use it, which GPIO pins would it connect to?

YaYa

Re: Audio

Post by YaYa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:23 pm

This is a sound DAC so it must be wired to power and sound source.
It’s wrong to think that you have to connect it to the Pi.
Pi sound output is either HDMI and you would need a splitter that won’t fit the tin, or it’s pwn and between the amp and the Pi, you would need first need a filter.
Follow me on instagram Image

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Oh and yes, you can use it, between the speaker and the usb sound card, but with so small speakers, i doubt it would make a big difference

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am

You could use that one if you really wanted. It is not as long as the USB sound card, but it is a bit wider, it could probably work, not 100% certain. The USB sound card is a much better option though, you will get a good amount of static with an amp like that (I have used that amp in many GBZ's).

As for wiring it will be wired to GPIO 18 (PWM0) and or 13 (PWM1) (choose one, mono audio only) wire that to A+, wire power to VCC, and ground to gnd and A-, then the two pins on the other end will go to the speaker. Check out wermy's guide on the GBZ, part 5 I believe, it shows the same amp, and how you need to wire it, and what you need to add to the config.txt....

But do yourself a favour and just go buy a USB sound card seen in the guide, haha.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 am

Rodocop, you can use the amp straight from the pi without filtering the sound ? Won’t you amplify all the crackles and noises coming from the PwM audio ?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm

YaYa wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 am
Rodocop, you can use the amp straight from the pi without filtering the sound ? Won’t you amplify all the crackles and noises coming from the PwM audio ?
Yeah. It's a bit of static. But it's not so bad, all of my builds with no AIO use a basic amp connected direct to the Gpios. In my most recent I've added a low pass filter. Which cleans the sound a small amount.