Software help!

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
jjjmranch

Software help!

Post by jjjmranch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Helping my son build his MintyPi and I cannot figure out how to download software onto the microSD card and even attempt to "test" it. Can someone help walk me through this? I thought I was computer literate until this project. Thanks!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Software help!

Post by wermy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi,
Have you checked out the written guide? Scroll down to "SD Card Setup" here: https://www.sudomod.com/mintypi-custom-parts-guide/
ImageImageImageImage

jjjmranch

Post by jjjmranch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Yes, I followed this but when I put the sd card back in, it didn't have this file name "wpa_supplicant.conf"
After Etcher finishes burning the image to your SD card, take your SD card out of your computer, and put it back in. You should have access to a folder on the SD card that’s named ‘boot’ (it’s actually a partition). Within there, there will be a file called “wpa_supplicant.conf”. Open it up with a text editor, and enter your wifi network name (SSID) where it says “SSID_GOES_HERE” (keep the quotes). Enter your wifi password where it says “WIFI_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE”. That’s it! You can now pop your SD card into the Pi, and it should boot up with everything configured for you, even Wifi.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:34 am

jjjmranch wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:37 pm
Yes, I followed this but when I put the sd card back in, it didn't have this file name "wpa_supplicant.conf"
After Etcher finishes burning the image to your SD card, take your SD card out of your computer, and put it back in.
Did you download Wermy's copy of the mintyPi OS? If so, the file should be there but if it isn't, here are steps on how to create it yourself: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3567

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 am

I just downloaded the image and checked, and the wpa_supplicant.conf file is definitely there. Did you put it in your pi and turn it on prior to putting it back in your computer? The wpa_supplicant.conf file gets deleted the first time you boot it up (moved actually). That could explain why it's gone missing for you. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am

Just re-create it manually with a .txt file but dont forget to remove the .txt extension after saving it.

If using Windows (not sure about Macs) you'll need to enable view 'File Name Extensions' to see the actual file extension.

I really should write the code down but i always grab it from here:

https://core-electronics.com.au/tutoria ... setup.html