Power issues with MicroLipo

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
ShadowChaser

Power issues with MicroLipo

Post by ShadowChaser » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm running a microlipo in my setup, and I'm having the following problem.
When I power the Pi 0 from it's native onboard micro USB-B port, it powers on and works fine. When I try to boot from the lipo I have (1200mah 1s 3.7v from adafruit) which is verified to be charged, nothing happens. The green light on the Pi does not turn on. It just doesn't seem to work. When I plug a Micro USB-B plug into the micro lipo and it indicates a charge/is full, the Pi still doesn't power on. No green light, nothing. I checked continuity between all points from the Micro USB port on the microlipo to the VCC and GND pads on the button PCB. It all seems to check out. What's the problem here?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Power issues with MicroLipo

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm

We can't give you any info unless you show us your wiring, which is likely your problem. You can test the voltage of the battery all the way to the Controller PCB to see where there is no voltage and figure out where it's wrong.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ShadowChaser

Post by ShadowChaser » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm
We can't give you any info unless you show us your wiring, which is likely your problem. You can test the voltage of the battery all the way to the Controller PCB to see where there is no voltage and figure out where it's wrong.
I'll get a pic in asap, but I can verify with a multimeter that at the pads on the PCB, the voltage reads 4.2volts. I think it might be a bad solder joint but I don't know where the bad joint would be since I don't see a VCC label. I'm assuming it's the 5v?

ShadowChaser

Post by ShadowChaser » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:18 pm

5V is the VCC pad that the battery get's wired to so check to be sure that the pi GPIOs for 5V have some kind of voltage there, Also GND needs to be checked as well since that is often harder to solder from the GPIO to the PCB. You could try the GPIO below the A button GPIO as that is another GND to solder to the PCB.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.