Function Button Trouble

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
RockFact12

Function Button Trouble

Post by RockFact12 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello,
I've just about completed my build using the updated board by helder with the function button.
Before I buttoned everything up I booted up the system to test everything out one last time and I'm having trouble with the function button.
Without having anything else pressed, when I press the function button the cheat sheet will pop up. I disconnected my "R" button and booted up again and still the function button will bring up the cheat sheet when pressed.
In playing around with it I did find that if I am holding another button and THEN press the function button- the other functions will take place instead of the cheat sheet popping up.
For example, if I hold left on the d-pad and then press function the volume down command will happen (while the left function is still happening as well - scrolling left on the retropi menu in this case-)

Any help would be appreciated! I'm excited to button this up and start playing.
Thanks!

Edit: After more testing I am finding that the R button seems to be latching. Once I press it to verify continuity, it will stay latched even when letting go of the button. I've replaced the button and still have this issue. The L button does not do this.

Edit #2: I've tested resistance between all of the buttons and ground and am finding all of the buttons except for R are ~230kOhms. When I check R to ground I get about 50 ohms.

rodocop

Re: Function Button Trouble

Post by rodocop » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Holding the function button will not stop the other buttons from doing what they normally do. So it is normal for the menu to scroll if you are pressing function + L etc... As for the R button, it is possibly getting stuck on the hole, and being constantly depressed, which may be why when you press function and not R the cheat sheet pops up? maybe the hole for R needs to be filed out, or the button itself adjusted again.

Also, I can't remember the layout of the minty pi board, but is the R gpio anywhere near the function button GPIO, maybe there is a short between the two? Or R is being shorted by a nearby ground. Check continuity with R and the surround GPIO pins.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Function Button Trouble

Post by Helder » Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Oddly the L gpio has a GND on the left and right of it, but the R is below the L gpio. It's likely you have a short going to the R and one of the GND gpio.

You will have to suck up as much of that solder in the R gpio to see if the short is broken, then maybe wire the R to the test pad or use less solder and some flux to help clean the solder joint to stick to the GPIO pad underneath the R GPIO.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.