Help w/ Mintypi image and PWM audio.

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
FlashyFrank

Help w/ Mintypi image and PWM audio.

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm

I am trying to use the Mintypi image as my base install but I am using PWM audio instead of usb.

After installing and updating the config.txt with "dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2" and rebooting I dont get any sound from the speaker, not even static. I have tested on another version of retropie and the sound works.

Not sure if I need to adjust a setting or something. Has anyone used a mintypi image with PWM audio?

I made sure the volume wasnt ,muted in retroarch. Not sure about the other settings.

Any help is appreciated.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Help w/ Mintypi image and PWM audio.

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 pm

There is a file in the etc folder called asound or something similar (not home right now to check), either rename it or delete it to get rid of usb audio. You'll have to probably go to Alsa Mixer and choose the default audio BMC chip and it should work.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 am

I have had lots of issues with PWM on the minty image. I gave up and created my own image. Main thing was volume staying at 0% at all times. Obviously since I did not have the usb card attached.

First I tried this:
I edited the /etc/asound.conf file to match what a stock retropie image shows. This allowed me to adjust the volume in the menu (it did not revert to 0% like previously noted), but every time I opened a game it would crash so I could not confirm if it was working.

Second:
I commented out the mintystartup.sh in the rc.local file, since it was overriding the normal splash screen I had, after I would only get a white screen at all times.

After that, I just said screw it and made my own! Not sure if my issues were unique, but it happened on two separate occasions on two separate builds. And I could never get PWM to work.
Last edited by rodocop on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:36 am

My recommendation. Fresh image, install mintycomboscript or mintybatterymonitor, install retrogame, then pwm stuff...

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Dang, I think I am running into the same problems. Im going to go get a few more SD cards today and try some fresh installs.