Bad screen / ribbon cable

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
TechIsAmazing

Re: Bad screen / ribbon cable

Post by TechIsAmazing » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I apologize in advance, but I am confused on how to progress on building my Minty Pi. This is my first-time building something like this. I GREATLY appreciate the help! :)

1. The Screen still does not work, it creates lines when booted
a. I checked the continuity of the ribbon cable on both ends, including bending the cable – Tested fine
b. I checked the continuity of the “test pads” on the screen, and their corresponding test pads on the button PCB – Tested fine
i. However, it appears the “SCK” test pad on the button PCB corresponds to the “SCL” test pad on the screen. Is that correct?
c. I tested the continuity of “Raspberry Pi” solder points to the corresponding test pads on the button PCB – Tested Fine
d. I connected Raspberry Pi with and HDMI connection to a TV Monitor – Everything worked fine

2. As Helder suggested above that the ribbon connector pins may have a weak point, and suggested extra solder on the ribbon connector pins. I’m not sure where to solder, I have attached two (https://imgur.com/a/sw2Fltn, https://imgur.com/a/KRH13vj) pictures of where I think he means. Is this the correct location?
a. How can you solder without touching the other pins, since it is so close? (I am worried about taking a chance and ruining the circuit boards / screen)

Thank you once again for the help!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 am

The SCL and SCK are a typo and are the same. The connector you showed in the links are the ones I'm referring to.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

TechIsAmazing

Post by TechIsAmazing » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm

I just tried to solder the ribbon connector pins, and it still is not functioning properly. I keep getting either a white screen or those lines (as I showed in pictures above). :(

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 am

Show me a video of you touching the ribbon or whatever it is you touch to get the screen to give out.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

TechIsAmazing

Post by TechIsAmazing » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 am

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Does anything make contact with the exposed ribbon on the back? If so, you could be shorting the screen which would cause that issue.

Read more about it here: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4425

TechIsAmazing

Post by TechIsAmazing » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:20 pm

No, nothing is touching the ribbon connector...

TechIsAmazing

Post by TechIsAmazing » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Helder, did the videos come over okay?

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:07 pm

TechIsAmazing wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm
Helder, did the videos come over okay?

Thanks again for all of your help! :)
Ok it looks like it's the back of the LCD board that we need to inspect, get a few good pictures of that so I can see.

TechIsAmazing

Post by TechIsAmazing » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Here are some pictures!
https://imgur.com/a/HLMZAUh - Front
https://imgur.com/a/qBGtMrw - Back