Replacing ribbon cable with wires

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Feynamn1

Replacing ribbon cable with wires

Post by Feynamn1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm

So my ribbon cable has warped and can't keep the screen powered any more. So I've decided to bite the bullet and solder wires from the PCB directly to the screen board. Any advice? What AWG should I use for the wires and how long should they be? Does anybody have experience doing this and have lessons to impart?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Replacing ribbon cable with wires

Post by Helder » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Could have just asked me to get a replacement ribbon or I could give you the specs and you can find one on aliexpress.

It's a 40mm 10pin 1mm pitch ribbon with contacts on both sides for the v2 mintyPi. The v1 uses an 8pin ribbon with same specs.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Feynamn1

Post by Feynamn1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am

Any chance you can post a link for the right cable on aliexpress? I've been going through their cable selection for hours but I still can't find the right one.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 am

I used a seller that was selling other sizes and asked to have the 40mm made as it was a custom size for me and I had to buy many so doubtful you'll find anyone selling those but you can use 50mm (5cm) or 60mm if those are easier to find.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Feynamn1

Post by Feynamn1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 am