Mintypi v3 software issue

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
anoldwiseman

Mintypi v3 software issue

Post by anoldwiseman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 pm

So for I flashed my sd card with the mintypi v3 software and everything went fine I got the boot folder and got everything working. Then when I went back later to add the games this guide https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... rring-Roms said that I had to format the sd card to fat32 so I did that and since I formatted it, everything off the sd card was gone. I reflashed and everything seemed fine until I could only see the boot folder. I would appreciate if someone could explain to me why this is.

Joeblowv1

Re: Mintypi v3 software issue

Post by Joeblowv1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:12 pm

When you formatted your SD Card you formatted over your mintypi image. You will need to re-format and reflash your mintypi image

They're referring to a flash drive in that guide, not your card. If you plan to add games with a USB stick, you will need a micro USB to fullsize USB hub/adapter, and then you will need to plug a blank, formatted to fat32 USB stick into the mintypi. Once you do that and wait a minute (for the light to stop blinking) you can unplug the flashdrive. Then it will have folders for all your files to add games to. Then you're going to need to reboot your pi, add the games to the flashdrive, and plug the USB stick back into the pi (with your SD card inside) once the green light on the pi stops blinking again (or just wait like 10 minutes if you're transferring a lot of games) kill power to the pi, re-boot, and you should have all your games.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:26 pm

I assume you are using windows. Reflash the image and when that formatting message comes up, ignore it and hit cancel.

Why:
When you flash the image, it creates 2 partitions. One is readable by windows (the boot drive) and the other that will contain the linux file system is in a format that windows can not read (ext4 I believe).

anoldwiseman

Post by anoldwiseman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Ok so I will try that, but how do I get games on there without hooking up a usb drive to the pi

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm

anoldwiseman wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 pm
Ok so I will try that, but how do I get games on there without hooking up a usb drive to the pi
Use the sftp method to transfer roms:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... rring-Roms

JayCanuck

Post by JayCanuck » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 pm

For transferring roms, I recommend using Linux File Systems for Windows by Paragon Software to view the ext partition on Windows like any other drive. Significantly faster than using the pi to transfer via usb of sftp. Simpler too. I've used it for a number of builds in the last year.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:04 am

Another option is to install RetroPie Manager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgQDg6SzBDg

RPM lets you manage your setup through a browser including ROMs.