MintyPi not booting.

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
N64user9000

MintyPi not booting.

Post by N64user9000 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Got everything set up an was working fine until my first charge. I plugged in a high speed USB 3 charger and noticed the charging light not working. I unplugged and plugged back in a couple of times the high speed cable. After that I switched to an older USB to usb3 and the light appeared to be working. I was able to get it up and running, but it was very hot, and seemed to run sluggish. 3 or 4 more starts later it wouldn't make it past the boot. Pulled the sd card and reformatted v3 pi and now it's not starting long enough for a proper boot. If it does make it to the boot screen it will typically freeze and attempt to reboot. Leaving it plugged in and attempting a boot causes everything to heat up very quickly and that's where I stopped. I'm pretty sure it's fried. Any suggestions on where to start?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: MintyPi not booting.

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:33 pm

1. If you power it from the Pi usb does it work?

2. Do you have a fixed powerboard or the original one that has had no fixes done?

3. When you power it on does it shutdown after about 3 seconds then reboot again in a cycle?

You might have a dead TX line or a bad powerboard with the incorrect dualfet and likely you killed the charger chip with the fast charge usb.

Just so you know or anyone else here the charge chip only outputs 1A so throwing 3A or something high at it will not charge the battery faster and will cause the board and chip to heat up with the extra amperage being wasted as heat.

Open the tin and show us the powerboard.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

N64user9000

Post by N64user9000 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:39 pm

1 will not boot from the pi. Processor is too hot to touch within a minute or so of boot attempt.

2 I have a new power board, that has all the fixes already
IMG_20190428_185327.jpg
New power board
IMG_20190428_185327.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 3957 times
3 it won't even make it that far anymore. I get a white screen, then black and the last thing I get is a message about Bluetooth being setup on a fresh install of v3.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Well that is a fixed board and has the correct mosfet chip so that is good.

Have you check for continuity between the pins on the pi? I am currently repairing one where there are bridges under the Pi that is making it do the same thing of getting very hot very quick. With the Pi soldered on, the only 2 pins that should have continuity are the upper right pins outlined in red in the image below.

Can we see a picture of the controller board? The back side (opposite side of what the buttons are on) of the board is what I am more interested in.

N64user9000

Post by N64user9000 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 pm

IMG_20190428_210106.jpg
IMG_20190428_210106.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
I checked everything before firing it up the first time and everything was good. But who knows maybe a couple cycles heated things up. Well you are absolutely correct And funny enough when I looked at it I was like I thought I had more in there. It's actually all over the place continuities are are bad. It's crazy I clamped everything down and took my time.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:32 pm

It happens. I am pretty sure Wermy goes through it in the build video but it is very important to check between GPIO pins as well to make sure nothing is bridged or bad things could happen. I will probably make a short video of how I do it just to give people an idea.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:18 pm

If the Pi CPU is too hot then you likely killed it and it's shorting which is why it's getting too hot. Use a 5v usb charger designed for 2A-2.4A but do use a USB-C cable. Not sure how much voltage that charger you used outputs but if it's over 6v I would not use it.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

N64user9000

Post by N64user9000 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Pixel 3 charger can send out up to 9 volts. Is there a way to test the power board to make sure nothing is wrong with it, I'm sending out my pi/board to be repaired and I would hate to have something get messed up again if there is.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 am

Liltrblmaker will test everything out to be sure nothing else is damaged.