Headphone Jack Squeal and Melted Solder Point

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
omahgad

Headphone Jack Squeal and Melted Solder Point

Post by omahgad » Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi There! Put my Mintypi together, got games and buttons running and everything. Only thing is, I may have damaged the solder point for my speakers on the board. When I soldered the speaker wire onto the board, I think I melted the soldering point. As in there's no more metal pad there to solder to. I assumed there's nothing I could do about that, so I decided that I'll just use the headphone jack instead. I get no sound out of the headphone jack, though. Just a high pitched squeal when I load up a game. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Headphone Jack Squeal and Melted Solder Point

Post by Helder » Thu May 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Pictures help us diagnose and did sound work before? If not then you need to look at the wiki or common problems thread for the audio fixes that you need to check.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

omahgad

Post by omahgad » Fri May 10, 2019 11:42 am

Sorry about that! This is my first time soldering (if it wasn't obvious already) and I did the best I could practicing and watching tutorials online. The sound never worked for me. I just kept pressing on after testing out the sound the first time and it not working. The pad melted off when I tried to solder the connections a second time...

The pictures below are of the speaker connections as well as the headphone jack connections. Thanks for your quick response!!!

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri May 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Speaker is easy to fix. You just need to scrape back the trace a little bit and solder directly to the trace. I have done it a couple of times but did not think to take a picture of it. But I would try to also redo the speaker wires so the only exposed wire is over the pads. The wire could short out on the metal backing of the speaker.

Can you take a picture of the pi soldering also? I would also recommend taking some IPA and a toothbrush and trying to lightly scrub a little bit of the flux off.

Nothing is really jumping out at me. The only thing that I am questioning is if in the first picture, the 2 legs are actually soldered to the board. If you have flux, I would recommend reflowing those 2 pins.

Have you checked for continuity between the pi and the test pads with a multimeter? The 3 for sound are outlined in the image below.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Also the 5v also outlined needs to have continuity or the audio will not work either be sure to check that these RED points have continuity.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

omahgad

Post by omahgad » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

Helder wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm
Also the 5v also outlined needs to have continuity or the audio will not work either be sure to check that these RED points have continuity.
Ok so I just reflowed(?) a bunch of my soldering and double checked the continuity on everything. Everything beeped so far and the headphone jack seems to work properly now. Thanks!

omahgad

Post by omahgad » Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 am

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:19 pm
Speaker is easy to fix. You just need to scrape back the trace a little bit and solder directly to the trace. I have done it a couple of times but did not think to take a picture of it. But I would try to also redo the speaker wires so the only exposed wire is over the pads. The wire could short out on the metal backing of the speaker.
Reflowing the jack worked! Well, accidentally anyway hahaha. When I was trying to remove a lot of the solder, I guess it got seated in place and connected properly.

Only thing left is the speaker which I'm still a bit unclear on. The part that melted off is the negative pad. Do I just take an xacto knife and scrape until I see the metal under the black board stuff and solder to that? Also, on the Wermy tutorial, he solders to the parts of the speaker in red below (which I also seemed to have bunt off...). but I noticed there are globs of solder on the green parts highlighted below. Are the green parts where I'm supposed to solder to? And does it matter which side is connected to negative/positive on the board?

UPDATE: I managed to scrape back the trace and solder to it. The squeal is back. It goes away and plays normally though headphones, though. Pics below:

Sorry for the barrage of questions or if this is answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance!