V3 - MODE and CS Shorted

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
CasualCheetah

V3 - MODE and CS Shorted

Post by CasualCheetah » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 pm

Regardless of excuses, I've made a short between MODE and CS. Flux, desoldering wick, and a solder-sucker aren't helping which doesn't make me optimistic about investing in some chipquik and a heat gun.

The pi does boot and writes to the display, but it's basically unusable. Here's a video of what that looks like:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BytC71YBIqs ... _copy_link

Is there anything I can do in software to disable or remap pin for, say, the MODE output? Is there a chance I could get in contact with a 'desoldering expert' or is there a technique I'm missing?

(It's just the two pins and waiting for the parts for so long only to make such a simple mistake is quite disheartening.)

-Cheers

LilTrublMakr

Re: V3 - MODE and CS Shorted

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:47 am

It more than likely got bridged under the Pi. The easiest and safest way to do it would be chipquick and a hot air station. If you are going to be doing a lot of electronic work, it would be worth the investment, but for a one time thing, send it to someone.

I offer a service to desolder/resolder the pi and test the connections. I believe Will also offers the same service. You can find more information on it here.

CasualCheetah

Post by CasualCheetah » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:31 pm

That'd be excellent. I'll PM you for details.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:17 pm

If you can get one those security devices used in DVD cases they have some super thin metal sheets. Put some solder on the 2 GPIO that are bridged so you can heat them both up at the same time then slide these thin metal strips between the pi and the controller pcb to see if you can break any connection underneath. Then remove any excess solder on the top that was used to heat both GPIO and test it out.

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.