Issues with mintyPi image

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Mouseater

Issues with mintyPi image

Post by Mouseater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 pm

So I am having some weird issues with the image on minty pi that I downloaded from here in the software section:
https://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php/MintyPi_V3
SD cards are both sanDisk brand, both were tested in other retro pi's to make sure they worked. I checked the MD5 of the image, and it verified just fine. Downloaded a second image, re-checked to the same effect.

I have tried two separate SD cards now and for both sd cards I
1. Installed the first downloaded image and verified the copy
2. after that image was no good, fresh format using sd formatting tool from the SD association
3. installed the second downloaded image.

For all 4 installs the same thing would happen, upon boot up I would get no mintyPi splash screen with sound and would just go straight to the "desktop" that comes up after the splash screen. Once in there I could navigate menus just fine with the buttons, but then when attempting to shutdown I got the second weird issue. Whether I use the command line, start menu, or the magnet when I attempt to shutdown the minty pi it hangs in the shutdown process and never shuts down forcing me to pull the power to get it to turn off.

So next I referenced Wermy build guide video and checked every single pin as he outlined, checking for both continuity and any bridged connections and everything checked out fine.

I am at a loss of what to try next, the cards work in other raspberry pis with no issues, all the solder connections checked out, what am I missing?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Issues with mintyPi image

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 pm

We mentioned this many times in the forum and I believe in Wermy's new update video he will address this again.

1. There is no more splash screen or audio like in the build video, this caused some longer boot times which we didn't like.

2. If you are powering the mintyPi off of the USB port of the Pi itself it will not shut off completely and hang at the terminal screen. This has also been mentioned quite a few times too. The pi shuts off completely when the powerboard is attached and it is powering the pi.

So totally normal behaviours, continue with the build.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Mouseater

Post by Mouseater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 pm
We mentioned this many times in the forum and I believe in Wermy's new update video he will address this again.

1. There is no more splash screen or audio like in the build video, this caused some longer boot times which we didn't like.

2. If you are powering the mintyPi off of the USB port of the Pi itself it will not shut off completely and hang at the terminal screen. This has also been mentioned quite a few times too. The pi shuts off completely when the powerboard is attached and it is powering the pi.

So totally normal behaviours, continue with the build.
I am sorry if this was mentioned many times already, I must have missed it. I tried searching for "splash screen" "Shut Down" and "image" and searched through those posts to try and find any information, along with the FAQs in the general mintyPi forum and this support forum, and the FAQs on the https://www.sudomod.com.

It's entirely possible that I 100% missed it in my searches, but I tried my best to find the information prior to making this post. Either way thanks for letting me know because I was going to be up all night fretting about how I messed up my mintyPi.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 am

Maybe it's more common to me because I get asked it alot but it's all good. Wermy will hopefully address this so everyone knows.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.