Minty Pi v.3 Audio

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Neutrino_Boy

Minty Pi v.3 Audio

Post by Neutrino_Boy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello, I have checked continuity with sda and scl with d1, I have also done so for bclk,lclk,din and ground. I have tried to reflow U2 and D1 just in case but I have not been able to get audio for the headphone jack or speaker. I have checked continuity between the speaker and headphone jack and it exists. I think the speaker is broken but the headphone jack does something because when i put on earbuds and open the options in the menu, it makes a little static beep for each different option. I am lost and I would really appreciate some help. Btw the board is not yet connected to the battery, only micro-usb. Thank you so much for your help.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Minty Pi v.3 Audio

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Do you have continuity from 5v to the D1 point as shown in the wiki? if there is no 5v connection there is no sound.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Neutrino_Boy

Post by Neutrino_Boy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Are sda and scl both 5v? I checked continuity between them and d1 and it was there. Thank you for responding!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

No that is not it, on the wiki the info is there. But here is the image so you don't have to go looking:

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Neutrino_Boy

Post by Neutrino_Boy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:18 pm

I checked and there is continuity between 5v and d1

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 pm

If 5v is working and there is also continuity from the GND and the other 3 audio points listed above in the picture it can only mean a faulty audio chip. Out of 1000 I have had only 1 bad chip and it was on my personal build, send it back to me and I'll replace it after checking everything else to be sure it's not something else.

Use the same shipping info from the box that I shipped the kit to you, if you don't have that info send me a PM with your order # and I'll give you my address.

_f1tness

Post by _f1tness » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm having a similar problem. My sound worked with some scratchy performance in the first part of the build, but when I went to shorten my speaker leads, one of the pads popped off. I tried exposing the foil run to solder the other end to it and now I get nothing but static for sound in both the headphones and speaker. I have reflowed the audio portion several times with no luck. Any other thoughts?
Attachments
20190806_201031.jpg
20190806_201031.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 4815 times
20190806_201037.jpg
20190806_201037.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 4815 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Test those exposed leads to GND. You might be shorting it to GND plane which is all over the board, clean up that solder where the ripped trace is. You guys need to use a properly temperature controlled iron. I've built many of these and never have burned any pads off. I can see this happening with too high heat for too long or pulling on the soldered wires.

_f1tness

Post by _f1tness » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you for that info. The pad came off when I moved the wire attached and tried to set the speaker in place. I covered the expressed areas with clear nail polish to prevent shorting. I continue to get this problem with the board removed from the tin so I can minimize my potential for shorts while troubleshooting. My iron is set for 640F which is what I believe to be optimal. The default settings are 663F. I'm not necessarily new to soldering but new to this project and looking for a little more circuit operation info. Thanks
Attachments
20190807_194644.jpg
20190807_194644.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 4799 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 pm

That's an ok temp as long as you don't hold it on a pad for too long. Now did you test that exposed trace with the solder you added to GND as I mentioned to see if it's grounded?