Minty Pi v.3 Audio

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
thewick

Re: Minty Pi v.3 Audio

Post by thewick » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm having the same problem with no audio. I did full continuity test on all the audio (and 5v) leads as indicated in the diagram and am out of ideas for how to troubleshoot further. Same result running the test with 5v power supply plugged into RPi board and when fully assembled with battery power. On a side note, testing the magnet does not power down either. Not sure if those issues could be related to same root issue? Otherwise everything seems to be working properly.

Thanks, and guidance much appreciated.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:12 pm

thewick wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:19 pm
I'm having the same problem with no audio. I did full continuity test on all the audio (and 5v) leads as indicated in the diagram and am out of ideas for how to troubleshoot further. Same result running the test with 5v power supply plugged into RPi board and when fully assembled with battery power. On a side note, testing the magnet does not power down either. Not sure if those issues could be related to same root issue? Otherwise everything seems to be working properly.

Thanks, and guidance much appreciated.
So the 5V test pad which is in the new version of the kit has continuity with the top 2 GPIO? if so then the audio chip might be bad it rarely happens but it has happened. Send it back to me and I'll swap the chip out and test it out. Send me a PM with your info and order #
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

harharsharkbait

Post by harharsharkbait » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:55 am

I'm getting no sound as well. I have continuity between all the audio test pads and the two pads but when I do the 5v test between the 5v pads and D1, I only get 3.3v. I also checked continuity between the speaker leads and the audio jack so the audio jack is fine, but I'm also not getting any sound through that. Any ideas?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 am

Is this the new Batch that has a 5V test pad? if so you just test continuity between that pad and the GPIO right below it and if it is not then it's the 5v gpio and the D1 lead. It should be either 5v there or nothing, there is no way 3.3v would be there so you're likely checking the wrong area.

This is the new test pad and the corresponding GPIO

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

harharsharkbait

Post by harharsharkbait » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:30 pm

No I have the old style board with no 5v test pad. I was measuring between the two 5v pads on the top right of the pi GPIO and the diode like you have pictured in the wiki. And those are reading 3.3v.
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.16.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.16.33 PM.png (67.4 KiB) Viewed 4301 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Ok that is wrong but test continuity not voltage to see if it has proper continuity if it does we need to see what else you are doing to test it. Are you powering it through the Pi usb port or through the battery and powerboard?

harharsharkbait

Post by harharsharkbait » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:14 am

Helder wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm
Ok that is wrong but test continuity not voltage to see if it has proper continuity if it does we need to see what else you are doing to test it. Are you powering it through the Pi usb port or through the battery and powerboard?
Okay. I'm not getting continuity between the 5v pads on the Pi. Should I reflow those pads? I am also using the Pi usb port to power everything.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:31 pm

You need to redo those 2 GPIO I have colored in RED in the pictures above, those need to have continuity with the D1 pad or it won't turn on or have audio.

harharsharkbait

Post by harharsharkbait » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:55 pm

I have continuity now but I just burnt the pads off my speaker and need a new one. Do you know where I can buy the right size speaker but with wires so I don’t burn the speaker? Thanks.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 am

No speaker exists this small with wires on it, I don't understand how people burn these off. The outer pads of the speaker you add a bit of solder then you heat that solder up on the pads and add a wire to the molten solder and done.

You can buy a pair off of ebay :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-20mm-8Ohm- ... 2764345055

or anything that is 20mm 8Ohm 8Ω 0.5W Audio Speaker and no more than 3.3mm thick, maybe even use the Switch speakers which has attached wires but is much smaller speaker. Obviously the issue is your iron and or experience soldering that destroyed the speaker pads, take it easy and use lower temps.