[PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolour GameBoy DMG shells

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
timemaster

[PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolour GameBoy DMG shells

Post by timemaster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:09 pm

A story behind

Hi all,
I want to introduce my take on the GameBoy DMG shell, which I have developed with only a few goals on my mind:

- keep as much from the original features/dimensions the same for the compatibility
- make it safely and nicely printable on an FDM printer
- define the final form of the GBZ shell (at least for me)

This project stands on excellent GameBoy Zero CAD from @neolith, and I would like to thank him a lot here because I would not have started without it. I have also contacted him to consult my future steps first.

So here it is, a multicolour FDM printed shell, specially tweaked for Kite's Circuit Sword board, but should be compatible with Helders one too as the internal details should copy the original DMG.

Initially, I thought that I only need to make a few changes on the front surface, and I that's it... After a few first test prints, I immediately realized that I am falling into a deep rabbit hole, but kept going. One by one, I had to tweak probably every surface or feature of the original case, all clearances, and perhaps everything. Once the case was printable, I started incorporating our usual stuff (joysticks, back buttons, big battery), which took me additional months to finish. On top of that, I have added a provision for CS digital volume rocker switch and mainly 3.5" touch screen, which also serves as a beautiful display cover.

Currently, I have two versions available, which I want to offer to a reasonably small number of people at the beginning for sale (thinking about ten max). The first version is with two Nintendo DS joysticks, and the second one is with two PSP joysticks. Both versions have four small back buttons. However, I am thinking about discarding the DS version right at the beginning, as I am not happy with the output. DS sticks require an additional adapter board, which I can provide. But still, there is no enough space in the shell to connect to such small flat cables without significant issues and a big chance of damaging either case or the joystick in case you are not super careful. DS sticks give you an additional fifth and sixth front button, but those are unusable anyway in games as clicking the stick fast is not that easy as clicking the button, and they are hard to connect to the CS board.

I think I am very close to the final solution, which will probably be six buttons plus one PSP joystick on the front side. With the touch screen available, there is no need for the second joystick. Such configuration should give anyone the best compatibility with emulators which could run reasonably well on the Pi, including Nintendo DS, DOS, ScumVM,... and this should fulfil the last goal, at least for me :)

This pre-order/sale will allow me to try a small "mass production", and hopefully also get me some feedback on what configuration I should keep. It maybe even change my conviction about that six buttons + PSP configuration, but I doubt it :) Most importantly, I hope this will be pushing me to work on something sweet and hopefully useful.

In the long term, I plan to release the 3D files. Still, for now, I would like to keep them closed and see where this will go.

Please do let me know what you think, how does it feel what do you want differently :)
Last edited by timemaster on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timemaster

Re: [PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolour GameBoy DMG shells

Post by timemaster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Pre-Order Here

Instruction
I am currently sending to the UK and EU countries. Please choose the appropriate button for you.
For the prefered colour scheme, please check this post for currently available colours, if you are interested in some other combination, please drop me a PM. Otherwise, please state the selected combination as a note during checkout.

The package will include only the 3D printed shell itself, no buttons or other accessories.
If you are interested in expanding this selection, please let me know in this thread. I am happy to add more options, and also some accessories like those small back button caps for you if somebody wants to.

If you are interested in the touch screen adaptor, please add it to your order using the separated button below. The adaptor can't be currently sold separately as the only item in the order.

EU

One PSP Joysticks, and four front buttons

Two PSP Joysticks, and four front buttons

UK

One PSP Joysticks, and four front buttons

Two PSP Joysticks, and four front buttons

Touchscreen adaptor

Available colours
The colour selection is limited. The problem is with the material. I tried a lot of them as you can see on the pictures, but unfortunately not every combination works. I am happy to try anything if you are interested. But for now, here is the list of working colours:

The material is PLA. I wasn't successful with PETG so far.
  • Galaxy Black (glitter black)
  • Pearl Mouse (dirty white)
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Silver
I am planning to add Orange and Yellow soon.

You are welcome to mix and match two of them, one as a base colour and the other one as an accent colour (for borders).

The first batch of photos
SpoilerShow
IMG_6031.jpeg
IMG_6031.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6030.jpeg
IMG_6030.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6029.jpeg
IMG_6029.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6028.jpeg
IMG_6028.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6026.jpeg
IMG_6026.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6027.jpeg
IMG_6027.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6025.jpeg
IMG_6025.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_5579.jpeg
IMG_5579.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_5499.jpeg
IMG_5499.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_5498.jpeg
IMG_5498.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
More information to follow, please do let me know what is missing, what you want to see here and so on :)
Last edited by timemaster on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timemaster

Re: [PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolor GameBoy DMG shells

Post by timemaster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Material & assembly
Everything that you will need. I will try to source and include some of the components below to your order. Current status on what is included in the package is in the pre-order post.
  • Touchscreen (optional)
  • Touchscreen adaptor (optional)
  • Touchscreen driver (TBD, the instalation is very easy, I will add a howto soon)
  • Four back button caps (TBD, correct type + 3d printed extension)
  • PSP 1000 joystick
  • DMG button set (A,B,X,Y,Start/Select,Power,Cross)
  • Set of screws (TBD, complete list)
Second batch of photos + touchscreen demo
SpoilerShow
IMG_5617.mp4
(3.04 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
IMG_5614.mp4
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
IMG_6038.jpeg
IMG_6038.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6035.jpeg
IMG_6035.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6034.jpeg
IMG_6034.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6033.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6032.jpeg
IMG_6032.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
IMG_6031.jpeg
IMG_6031.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3686 times
Last edited by timemaster on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.

timemaster

Re: [PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolor GameBoy DMG shells

Post by timemaster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Reserved

timemaster

Re: [PRE-ORDER] 3D printed multicolour GameBoy DMG shells

Post by timemaster » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello, of course, you can! If there is anything unclear about the PayPal links, please drop me a PM, I will respond shortly.

Thank you