[For Sale]HoolyHoo's AIO bracket for Kite's Circuit Sword Board

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
Sasherz

Re: [For Sale]HoolyHoo's AIO bracket for Kite's SAIO Board

Post by Sasherz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am
Sasherz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am
I am about to order a bracket, the:
For PSP Style Bracket with Included Button Well Guides ($16) EU Int. non UK Shipping Only with Tracking ($8)
does this come with the:
Four of Each DIY Install Brass Inserts and M2 Screws Loose (Screws Need to be trimmed to size) ($3)
or do I have to order them on the side, if so, is there any way to add them to a "cart" or do I need to buy twise?
The bracket does not come with the screws and inserts. You would have to make two separate checkouts but don’t worry the screws and inserts will not be charged shipping. I will combine them manually. Thanks
thank you, I put up a order now, there is no rush since the kite I preorderd form Kite now isnt gonna ship his kit to me late May.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Best way I found to do it insert a 6mm m2 screw with the insert on. Make sure screw is screwed about 1 mm past insert. Screw in the screw to the post until brass insert touches the post.
Hi, can someone clarify the instructions for installing the brass inserts for me? I assume the inserts look like standoffs you might see for a motherboard in a PC? (https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-Brass ... B00213KL5I)

So the first step says to insert a 6mm screw with the insert on. Insert the 6mm screw where? What does "the insert on" mean? Does this mean screw the 6mm screw into the female opening of the brass insert?

Then it says screw it 1mm past the insert. Does this mean screw it 1 mm past the top of the insert, so 5mm of the screw is exposed?

Then the last sentence says to screw in the screw - screw in the 6mm screw to the insert? But didn't we do that in steps 1 and 2? Or does this mean screw in the brass insert into the 3d printed post on the bracket until the bottom of the brass insert touches the top of the (plastic) post?

Any clarifications or (better yet) photos of the steps required, would be appreciated. Thank you.

neolith

Post by neolith » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm
Hi, can someone clarify the instructions for installing the brass inserts for me? I assume the inserts look like standoffs you might see for a motherboard in a PC? (https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-Brass ... B00213KL5I)
Not quite, they are like these: https://www.ebay.de/itm/M2x3mmx3-5mm-Fe ... SwbtNaQJX8
The thread goes all the way through.
So the first step says to insert a 6mm screw with the insert on. Insert the 6mm screw where? What does "the insert on" mean? Does this mean screw the 6mm screw into the female opening of the brass insert?

Then it says screw it 1mm past the insert. Does this mean screw it 1 mm past the top of the insert, so 5mm of the screw is exposed?

Then the last sentence says to screw in the screw - screw in the 6mm screw to the insert? But didn't we do that in steps 1 and 2? Or does this mean screw in the brass insert into the 3d printed post on the bracket until the bottom of the brass insert touches the top of the (plastic) post?

Any clarifications or (better yet) photos of the steps required, would be appreciated. Thank you.
Take a screw and an insert.
Screw the screw in.
Do this far enough so that it comes out on the other side about 1mm.
Place screw with insert on top of plastic post.
Use the 1mm you screwed it in too far to screw it into the plastic so it has a little support.
Use soldering iron to heat up the screw and press it into the plastic until the insert's upper side is on the same level as the outermost part of the plastic.

That being said I used a bit more than 1mm as it was easier to get the plastic heated up. It is also a good idea to hold the screw with pliers (or something similar) while applying the heat. Make sure to use pliers with rubber ends or you might quickly burn yourself.
And it takes a while to find the right temperature for this. Use too little heat and you'll squash the plastic and the insert will shift to any side or sit too low. Use too much heat and the plastic melts away.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Jake C

Post by Jake C » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm

I got my brackets with the PSP joystick setup. I am getting ready to assemble the circuit sword, and I notice the holes in the bracket for the LEDs are pointing towards the face of the GB case. Not the top. How is this supposed to work, as Kites guide shows the LED holes pointing up?

PIXeL_92

Post by PIXeL_92 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 am

***** EU POSTAGE UPDATE *****

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in orders going out, I am now all caught up and your brackets have been posted.

Regards
Needs parts for your Gameboy Zero or even just normal Gamboy mods, head over to http://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/ and use the discount code RGREPAIRS for a 10% discount code. Loads of great products at affordable prices.

Instagram - http://instagram.com/robsgamerepairs

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 am

Jake C wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm
I got my brackets with the PSP joystick setup. I am getting ready to assemble the circuit sword, and I notice the holes in the bracket for the LEDs are pointing towards the face of the GB case. Not the top. How is this supposed to work, as Kites guide shows the LED holes pointing up?
The holes are designed if you want the leds to shine through the front face of the shell. If you want the led holes to be at the top of the case then follow Kites guide to the slight modification needed to the bracket on his wiki page.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am

neolith wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm
Not quite, they are like these: https://www.ebay.de/itm/M2x3mmx3-5mm-Fe ... SwbtNaQJX8

The thread goes all the way through.

That being said I used a bit more than 1mm as it was easier to get the plastic heated up. It is also a good idea to hold the screw with pliers (or something similar) while applying the heat. Make sure to use pliers with rubber ends or you might quickly burn yourself.
And it takes a while to find the right temperature for this. Use too little heat and you'll squash the plastic and the insert will shift to any side or sit too low. Use too much heat and the plastic melts away.
Wow this is perfect and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the clear explanation. I am a lot more confident in installing now!

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am

sygyzy wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am
Wow this is perfect and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the clear explanation. I am a lot more confident in installing now!
You're welcome. Inserting the inserts sounds a bit scary at first, but it is certainly doable. :)

Another tip I forgot to mention: If you use a chisel tip for your soldering iron and a screw with a flat top you can transfer the heat a lot faster. This makes the whole process faster and safer and does not require a temperature as high.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

kubino

Post by kubino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 am

Allright we should be compatible with PSP bracket now! Huge thanks to HoolyHoo who provided outlines and center hole positions!

Anybody would like to try ? :D
HH_PSP.png
HH_PSP.png (31.6 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
Btw. what's the best hole size for PSP? 10-11mm?