GB Null

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
Mrbtrey

Re: Game Boy Null

Post by Mrbtrey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

Ampersand I just purchased this and am super pumped to start building, but i have one question. When soldering the screen to the board can I run one continuous line of solder or do I have to solder each individual connection. Thanks for any help!! Cant wait to get this bad boy up and running!

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 am

Mrbtrey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am
Ampersand I just purchased this and am super pumped to start building, but i have one question. When soldering the screen to the board can I run one continuous line of solder or do I have to solder each individual connection. Thanks for any help!! Cant wait to get this bad boy up and running!
The pins have to be soldered individually, it's not hard though, take your time and keep it clean.
It doesn't need to be that neat since you won't see it under the screen, here's a pic:
SpoilerShow
IMG_6058.JPG
IMG_6058.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 8661 times

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:38 am

Kits are currently sold out, more coming though

Mrbtrey

Post by Mrbtrey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks for the help!! Really cool stuff going on here!!!

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Really great kit! Can't wait for the restock! Quick question on audio - aside from modding the case - does the TP4056 have additional power bandwidth / access to the power out pins? I know it will be powering the entire system and I don't want to overload it. I am wondering if I can use the Adafruit PAM8302 and link a little 8 ohm speaker into it. Does that even seem remotely possible? Might take some trial and error to find the right pads...

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 am

wolffman007 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm
Really great kit! Can't wait for the restock! Quick question on audio - aside from modding the case - does the TP4056 have additional power bandwidth / access to the power out pins? I know it will be powering the entire system and I don't want to overload it. I am wondering if I can use the Adafruit PAM8302 and link a little 8 ohm speaker into it. Does that even seem remotely possible? Might take some trial and error to find the right pads...
I think if you connect the power directly to the TP4056, you'll miss the switch, meaning it'll be drawing power even when it's turned off?

The TP4056 connects to the switch and then to pads 2 and 4 of the Pi (5V).

Adafruit says "Inside the miniature chip is a class D controller, able to run from 2.0V-5.5VDC" you can get 5V by soldering to the Raspberry Pi.

For PWM audio there's this https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480
GPIO18 (PWM0) is unused by GB Null as far as I remember.
GPIO13 (PWM1) is used by the start button for GB Null, but GPIO19 can also act as PWM1 and is unused.

I don't know how big the PAM8302 or speaker are, but you might be able to fit them on top of the Pi without modifying the case. You'd need to insulate it so nothing connects to something it shouldn't.

I haven't tried any of this so I can't say if it works or is safe.

Hope this helps!

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I think I found a nice, crisp way to grab audio via I2S. I was going to make a little test bed so I was ready to rock when the kits came back in stock.

Is the image you put out there specific to your components? I tried a few different sized SD cards and windows / Mac but was never able to get an image to load. Just a few green blinks on the light then nothing. I am using a V1.3 board not the wifi board if that matters as well. I can pop a Raspbian OS and things seem to boot up just fine. Just thought I would ask before I dive deeper...

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am

wolffman007 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 pm
I think I found a nice, crisp way to grab audio via I2S. I was going to make a little test bed so I was ready to rock when the kits came back in stock.

Is the image you put out there specific to your components? I tried a few different sized SD cards and windows / Mac but was never able to get an image to load. Just a few green blinks on the light then nothing. I am using a V1.3 board not the wifi board if that matters as well. I can pop a Raspbian OS and things seem to boot up just fine. Just thought I would ask before I dive deeper...
The image needs a 16GB micro SD. I've made a GB Null with a Pi Zero V1.3 and a Pi Zero W, and both worked without any issue. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Maybe try downloading the image again in case something went wrong there?
Everything in the kit is identical to what I used to make mine.

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Ampersand wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am
The image needs a 16GB micro SD. I've made a GB Null with a Pi Zero V1.3 and a Pi Zero W, and both worked without any issue. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Maybe try downloading the image again in case something went wrong there?
Is there any chance there could be a setting within the image that is defaulting to a specific video out? I am sure when it integrates with the other pieces you have it will work. This test bed is just frustrating me...

So far I have tried a 16 and 64gb SD card. Written on both Mac (Apple Pi Baker) and PC (etcher). Tried a 3.5" LCD (connected to the TV pin on Pi) as well as the mini-HDMI to a large monitor. When LCD connected to the Pi, nothing turned on. When Pi connected to the TV "Unsupported" appeared.

The strange thing is that as soon as I input a new SD card with a version of Raspbian (2018-06-27) or Retropie (4.4), both screens light up like usual. Wondering if I am missing an easy step or something...I know I can always use my own image, but I like keeping everything close to the original

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 pm

wolffman007 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 pm
Ampersand wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am
Is there any chance there could be a setting within the image that is defaulting to a specific video out? I am sure when it integrates with the other pieces you have it will work. This test bed is just frustrating me...

So far I have tried a 16 and 64gb SD card. Written on both Mac (Apple Pi Baker) and PC (etcher). Tried a 3.5" LCD (connected to the TV pin on Pi) as well as the mini-HDMI to a large monitor. When LCD connected to the Pi, nothing turned on. When Pi connected to the TV "Unsupported" appeared.

The strange thing is that as soon as I input a new SD card with a version of Raspbian (2018-06-27) or Retropie (4.4), both screens light up like usual. Wondering if I am missing an easy step or something...I know I can always use my own image, but I like keeping everything close to the original
Do they just light up or do they boot? How long are you waiting for it to turn on?
Both screens? Are you trying to get an image through hdmi? Have you soldered up the PCB with all the components?

I don’t know what the problem could be. I got everything working, then backed up my image, loaded it onto another sd and put it in an another gb null I’d made (this one without WiFi). That worked fine. Then I put the image on OneDrive.

Has the screen turned on at all? Have you remembered the small resistor?