WTB DMG-01 Internals

Post all "Looking to buy XYZ" threads here.
s1xty7

WTB DMG-01 Internals

Post by s1xty7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am

Fixing up an old DMG-01 for my kids and my internals are shot. Looking for all internal electronics (screen too) and the battery contacts. If you have some, let me know what you are looking to get for them. I can do PayPal and live in Oregon, USA.

Thanks!

s1xty7

s1xty7

Re: WTB DMG-01 Internals

Post by s1xty7 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 am

Please close this topic. I've decided to go another route with this project.

Thanks for all the views.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Your internals are shot? How so. Maybe they are fixable.?

s1xty7

Post by s1xty7 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. Note, this is an original Game Boy and not a GBZ or anything. It was bought for $10 at a pawn shop.

To start with, the battery terminals are heavily corroded. I cleaned them off well enough to continue testing with, but the board makes a click, flashes the black line across the center of the screen, and nothing else. It looks like a soda was spilled on it quite some time ago. The little copper plate is heavily corroded, the headphone jack is heavily corroded, and it looks like there might actually be an area that was charred at some point. Overall, the case is in great shape so I was going to replace the internals. I kicked around building a GBZ, but I don't have time for that (the Pi Cart was easy enough, but my solder skills suck). I think I'll send it to someone with the time to build one and have them build a GBZ in this shell. I have my original clear "Play It Loud" Game Boy from when I was a kid and it works fine so it will keep serving original Game Boy duty. Thought it might be fun to have an original grey one around. Now it'll be the original with more capabilities.

Having said that, if you have a spare set of old school internals, I may still go that route too.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Ah yeah. Sounds like it's in bad condition...but it's hard not to buy a gameboy for $10, working or not! I also enjoy restoring gameboys too, but I don't have any internals to spare. I am actually also looking for a screen pcb for one I am working on at the moment haha. (I had a totally trashed screen but a working power board.)

Check eBay seller Japan_4_You you can sometimes find decent working gameboys there.