Retro PSU, the end all be all PSU for all Pi projects! 3.5A output!

If you'd like to gauge interest in an idea before putting it into production, do it here!

Do you want a RetroPSU?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 25

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Retro PSU, the end all be all PSU for all Pi projects! 3.5A output!

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Hey everyone I have been working on a better PSU for all the pi projects people build and we all use 1 of the 2 widely used boards to power our projects but they are no longer as useful as they once were.

The new boards all require 2A or more to work properly like the new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and the other Pi clones like Banana Pi and Orange Pi which has led me to develop my own power board that can meet these requirements and then some. So I'm wondering how many people will be interested in such a board? I will take preorders maybe next weekend for anyone interested.

Features:
  • 97% efficiency at full battery charge (4.2v)
  • 93-95% efficiency at 3.3v to 3.6v battery charge
  • Outputs up to 3.5A @ 5.20v
  • Small Size of 23.5mm x 34mm (slightly smaller than the PowerBoost 1000C)
  • Optional Enable Pin to turn off the boost portion just like the PowerBoost series boards from Adafruit
  • Charge/Charged LEDs with optional pads to mount LEDs elsewhere for customization
  • TP4056 1A charge IC to charge the battery
  • ADS1015 to do battery monitoring ala mintyPi Battery Monitoring Script using the I2C pads (Thanks HoolyHoo for the work on it)
  • ADS1015 can also support an Analog Stick so that option in on the board as well and software is being developed for this in time for release (big thanks to Othermod on his analog stick code and Bluup for integrating everything into the up coming software)
  • Multiple Outputs , 2 to be exact so you can run wires to multiple devices (use 24AWG to get the full amperage!)
  • Multiple Inputs, Micro USB to recharge the battery and input pads if you want to solder to another usb port like on the Shell of a GB
  • Price $25!!

Video of me demoing it with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and a Keidi HDMI LCD all powered from a single Lipo battery (2000mAh which runs about 1hour in this configuration)
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ABH

Re: Retro PSU, the end all be all PSU for all Pi projects! 3.5A output!

Post by ABH » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Great work Helder definitely interested..
Holes will be useful than pads in my opinion
Last edited by ABH on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EVE-TECH

Post by EVE-TECH » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Life saver can’t wait for the preorder.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm

ABH wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm
I had a prototype with holes and pads and people were more towards pads as I am as well and it has less problems with a potential short if there are other boards underneath this board. If there is enough demand I can change the pads to holes but what is the reason you want holes?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ABH

Post by ABH » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm
ABH wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm
I had a prototype with holes and pads and people were more towards pads as I am as well and it has less problems with a potential short if there are other boards underneath this board. If there is enough demand I can change the pads to holes but what is the reason you want holes?
In my view, the holes supports two types of users, who want to solder them directly onto the board and the who wants to use the wires.
And what you mentioned at the shorts is true and I agree with you but it is almost rare.

fdeluxe

Post by fdeluxe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Interested!!

derebbe

Post by derebbe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:38 am

Which size has this PCB? Does it fit into a GameBoy game cartridge?
Looks very promising!

Killar

Post by Killar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:06 am

Hi. i don't know if i missed something in this post. but do it support the function to charge and use it at the same time, like adafruit's powerboost 1000c?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 am

derebbe wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:38 am
Which size has this PCB? Does it fit into a GameBoy game cartridge?
Looks very promising!
Size is 23.5mm x 34mm

Killar wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:06 am
Hi. i don't know if i missed something in this post. but do it support the function to charge and use it at the same time, like adafruit's powerboost 1000c?
Well if you have a charger that can provide the amperage to charge the battery and the device it's powering then yes but unless it's a 4A or 5A charger then no you can't really charge and play. The Pi 3 B+ with HDMI LCD draw close to 3A so that means you will likely need a 4A charger to power it all and still charge the battery.

The PowerBoost1000C can do play and charge because it outputs 1A consistently and charges the battery at 1A so most 2a or 2.4A wall chargers can power it and charge the battery if you are using an 800mAh wall charger you can't play and charge. It all depends on what you are using to charge the battery as I explained above.

Here is a direct quote from Adafruit's site on the PowerBoost 1000C page:
Just be aware that the charge rate is 1000mA max, and there's some inefficiency during the boosting stage, so make super sure that the USB adapter you're using to charge with is high quality, can supply 2A and has thick power wires. This one from Adafruit is ideal and has been tested, lower quality ones will not act well due to the voltage drop on the wires or droop on the power supply. This is especially true if you're actually drawing 1000mA out of the PowerBoost 1000C, the MCP73871 maxes out at 1.8A

jungb

Post by jungb » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 pm

does the psu come with battery protected and over discharge?very nice job