Safe Shutdown v2.0

If you'd like to gauge interest in an idea before putting it into production, do it here!

Interested in Safe Shutdown v2.0 with battery monitoring?

Yes
84%
No
3%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 38

Camble

Safe Shutdown v2.0

Post by Camble » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:23 pm

In December I ran out of generic Safe Shutdown boards and have hadn't planned to restock, but have recently been looking at replacing the low battery alert with analog monitoring.

I'd like to do a run of these with an integrated ADS1015. I also plan to increase the current rating of the traces to the switch's maximum of 2.5A.

Is this something people would be interested in? It's been a while since I've produced anything but battery monitoring seems like it would be a welcome addition.
PCB PreviewShow
Last edited by Camble on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: Safe Shutdown v2.0

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Camble wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:23 pm
In December I ran out of generic Safe Shutdown boards and have hadn't planned to restock, but have recently been looking at replacing the low battery alert with analog monitoring.

I'd like to do a run of these with an integrated ADS1015. I also plan to increase the current rating of the traces to the switch's maximum of 2.5A.

Is this something people would be interested in? It's been a while since I've produced anything but battery monitoring seems like it would be a welcome addition.
PCB PreviewShow

this would be great.....

as your considering to have a rating of 2.5A....
would you be also looking to make it compatible with Helders Retro PSU, just giving the board a broader range
even thou his also has the function of the ADS1015, but there isn't a graceful shutdown solution to his board at the moment...

and with the release of the Pi3A+, its something that I personally would like to pair up (and I'm sure a lot more will as well)

also, the battery monitoring isn't really a big thing as the shutdown from the on/Off switch (IMHO)....
(especially as you can buy a ADS1015 board for around a $1)
but I appreciate that its something that would make the board a little more attractive (and keep it at a decent price point for you)

I'd definitely be interested

Camble

Post by Camble » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:47 pm

@VeteranGamer This version was to cover supplies other than the PowerBoost. I believe Helder's Retro PSU uses an enable pin the same way the PowerBoost does so I think the PowerBoost edition would be the best choice to use with the Retro PSU.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Camble wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:47 pm
@VeteranGamer This version was to cover supplies other than the PowerBoost. I believe Helder's Retro PSU uses an enable pin the same way the PowerBoost does so I think the PowerBoost edition would be the best choice to use with the Retro PSU.

But his board doesnt have a LBO.....

so I not sure if that will affect your board (and especially the script)....

but if the power boost version of your shutdown PCB is compatible with Helder PSU....
that something that I feel people should be made aware off....
as I've seen a good few builds with his board, that aren't incorporating a shutdown function

Camble

Post by Camble » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 pm

I forgot about the LBO pin. I'm considering adding battery monitoring to the both, which would eliminate the need for the LBO pin at all. I already spoke to Helder regarding the enable pin and I see no reason why the PowerBoost edition wouldn't be compatible.

As for the script, there have been issues since I forked it. I'm not a Python developer and bloated the script a little too much I think. HoolyHoo's script seems very lightweight and might be a better option.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:09 pm

If you're going to use the chip to initiate a safe shutdown then my board already does that. What I think VeteranGamer is wanting is the ability to flip the switch so it will initiate a safe shutdown on demand.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Camble

Post by Camble » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:09 pm
If you're going to use the chip to initiate a safe shutdown then my board already does that. What I think VeteranGamer is wanting is the ability to flip the switch so it will initiate a safe shutdown on demand.
Not sure which chip you mean

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Camble wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:37 pm
Helder wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:09 pm
Not sure which chip you mean
My Retro PSU and MintyPi both use the ADS1015 for battery monitoring and safe shutdown once the battery level is low enough but there is no flip switch like you had in your other safe shutdown boards which is what Veteran Games really desires atleast for the GBZ builds.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm
My Retro PSU and MintyPi both use the ADS1015 for battery monitoring and safe shutdown once the battery level is low enough but there is no flip switch like you had in your other safe shutdown boards which is what Veteran Games really desires atleast for the GBZ builds.
Gotcha. The switch for the PowerBoost edition should work with your PSU to initiate a shutdown, but the ADS1015 would just be duplication. Not such a big deal though. Definitely a better option than a comparator.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 am

Camble wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm
The switch for the PowerBoost edition should work with your PSU to initiate a shutdown
is this the current powerboost edition board
and if so...
any idea how this should be wired up.....
(if it is,its just the LBO, that is throwing me off)

or this going to be the case for the new revisions....