Using rearview camera display

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dirtybeagles

Re: Using rearview camera display

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 10:53 am

Thatbraziliann wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I received some feedback that the screen I have my be able to run off 5v without any modification. I will be testing this hopefully tonight and will report back.
@dirtybeagles I have the exact same screen (same board and everything) and can confirm that it does run off of 5v.

(sidenote/ Im having trouble prying it open though for some reason theres only one screw but the thing is on there tightly.)
There is a little white circle sticker on the back correct? There is a screw under there, did you get it?

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 11:13 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
Thatbraziliann wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I received some feedback that the screen I have my be able to run off 5v without any modification. I will be testing this hopefully tonight and will report back.
@dirtybeagles I have the exact same screen (same board and everything) and can confirm that it does run off of 5v.

(sidenote/ Im having trouble prying it open though for some reason theres only one screw but the thing is on there tightly.)
There is a little white circle sticker on the back correct? There is a screw under there, did you get it?
I got it from nice shopping. Yes there is a white sticker on there.. Oh god I cant believe I didn't look under there. Im so glad we have these forums haha before I ruined the screen trying to pop it open.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Blenderhead wrote:I also have this screen/board an have just soldered it to the zero, works fine. how ever the screen seems fuzzy/ blurry is there anything i can do to fix this ? messing with the brightness/contrast etc. didn't seem to work .
The first course of action is probably to check your solder joints, and making sure they're properly secured. It might also be interference, so try shielding the wires with alfoil, being careful not to short anything out. :)

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I thought that may be the problem, im going to try re-soldering tomorrow.

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Thu May 12, 2016 12:02 am

Completely off topic but for those using the backup camera screen, I recommend using a hairdryer to melt the glue holding down the screen from the front. Also additional bonus tip, if you are careful, you can remove the front screen cover from the case mount as well! This is basically a free screen protector for your GBZ as it is about the same thickness as the original screen protector. Just use the old GB screen protector as a template, mark around and cut then sand down!

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Thu May 12, 2016 8:47 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:Completely off topic but for those using the backup camera screen, I recommend using a hairdryer to melt the glue holding down the screen from the front. Also additional bonus tip, if you are careful, you can remove the front screen cover from the case mount as well! This is basically a free screen protector for your GBZ as it is about the same thickness as the original screen protector. Just use the old GB screen protector as a template, mark around and cut then sand down!

Aewesome advice man, so your saying once I pop the back off and the front us a hairdryer to get rid of the excess glue or?

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 am

Yeah you can melt the glue a bit making it much easier to remove the screen and screen cover. Leaves less residue leftover as well.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
Blenderhead wrote:I also have this screen/board an have just soldered it to the zero, works fine. how ever the screen seems fuzzy/ blurry is there anything i can do to fix this ? messing with the brightness/contrast etc. didn't seem to work .
Hmm, that seems concerning. I wonder if anyone else has this problem? I will be setting mine up tonight and will report back.
I'm interested in your results dirtybeagles. I bought the same amazon screen, and just waiting on getting ahold of a rpi0 to start my project.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Thu May 12, 2016 11:01 am

Kilren wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:
Hmm, that seems concerning. I wonder if anyone else has this problem? I will be setting mine up tonight and will report back.
I'm interested in your results dirtybeagles. I bought the same amazon screen, and just waiting on getting ahold of a rpi0 to start my project.
yup, yesterday I got off work pretty late and did not have time to get the soldering done. But today is a half day. Come back in about 5 hours for a video of my results!!!

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Thu May 12, 2016 11:29 am

Fuzzy/blurry how? Keep in mind these will have a slight blurriness on them, they are only 320x240 resolution so reading small text is impossible. It is fine for most games but your console and some emulationstation text will be blurry or too small to read.