Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
lookitsneil

Re: Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

Post by lookitsneil » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:58 am

Thinking about picking up one of these bad boys. How does the 3d Printed screw bracket fit with this whole set up? or do you need to find an alternate way to screw the 2 halfs together?

Is there a hit on battery consumption with the higher res screen? Anyone do any testing?

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 am

lookitsneil wrote:How does the 3d Printed screw bracket fit with this whole set up?
It doesn't. I was just going to fashion a clasp or glue or something to hold it. Cannikin made a latch or something if you look for the pictures.

AustenFM

Post by AustenFM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Howdy Folks,

I got my 640x480 display yesterday from Wankeda store via eBay, shipped fast! We're talkin' 4 days from shipping notification, so the postage rate was worth it.

However, my screen and boards didn't arrive entirely pristine, and I would like a little input to whether or not I should put in for an exchange. First off, I haven't tested the screen through the pi yet because I'm still without a soldering iron, what would be the best way to go about getting a picture out of this little guy? I currently have it set up as shown on the main eBay picture: http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo15 ... -l1600.jpg Do I simply need to attach a 5v power supply and to plug in the yellow vga input to the device to give me a picture?

If the picture works out I'll likely keep the unit instead of going though the hassle of returns to China, but I want to share some hiccups on the hardware I noticed out of the box. First off, on the screen I noticed a little crimping on the ribbon cable, almost looked like toothed pliers crimped the edge. The connections however appear intact when viewed through a back light so everything Is probably good.

[spoiler="Crimped Ribbon"]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Back Lit Ribbon, Looks OK"]Image[/spoiler]

Another little bung I noticed was on one of the little coiled copper wire towers on the main board, the top of the spool was chipped off. the wires however still look intact and undamaged otherwise.

[spoiler="Chipped Spool"]Image[/spoiler]

So what do you think, If I manage to get a picture out of it should I just accept these dings and avoid the hassle of returns? Or should I mount my mule and go forth to secure a replacement?

Thanks!

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 am

@lookitsneil I tested the screen and it draws about 390 mA which does sound a little high to me. I also have a BW screen but haven't tested it yet. Maybe someone can chime in with current draw of the BW and Adafruit screen?

Edit: According to the Adafruit website the current draw of their 3.5" screen is 350 mA @ 6V so looks like the 640x480 screen is in line with that.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/913

@AustenFM Someone else had their screen arrive damaged and got it replaced. In fact, they mentioned that the customer service was great. Since you are waiting for other parts and tools I would contact the seller.

As a side note, the screen is nice but considering the high price is it 4x nicer than a BW screen? Probably not. I definitely consider it a "luxury item" in my build.

johweb

Post by johweb » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:01 pm

I received my 640x480 display from China last week. I made an offer of 67$, it was refused but the seller offered 73$ that I accepted. And it included the shipping costs ! See my build for direct ebay link. :D

Janicka

Post by Janicka » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Guys,

By any chance, has anyone had an issue where this screen is not powering up?
The little LED on the button board is showing as RED instead of green and i'm not getting anything from the screen itself.
I'm hoping it's something as silly as needing to push something to make it jump out of standby mode..... but also fear it's something MUCH, MUCH worse.

Thanks,

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:06 am

Janicka wrote:Hi Guys,

The little LED on the button board is showing as RED instead of green and i'm not getting anything from the screen itself.
I'm hoping it's something as silly as needing to push something to make it jump out of standby mode..... but also fear it's something MUCH, MUCH worse.

Thanks,

The LED is supposed to be red if i remember correctly.

Power up the screen and change the input if you have not. My screen was defaulted to a different input so it was blank until i changed it.

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:10 am

Janicka wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Mine just did this. I cant figure out why its blacked out all of a sudden. I fear this screen might be more trouble than its worth as I think it pulls far too much power from the loop as well. Im still looking into this. Ill let you know what I find.

tent

Post by tent » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 am

Hi guys,
Isn't there an alternative 3.5" hi res screen that could be reused from a previous generation phone maybe?
Of course those would hardly have a composite input I guess...

Tent
tent:wq

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am

The screen pulls about 390mA when I tested it which is comparable to the Adafruit screen used in the original guide