Gameboy Zero button PCB (Build Gameboy Zero without a working gameboy!)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RMwashere

Re: Gameboy Zero button PCB (Build Gameboy Zero without a working gameboy!)

Post by RMwashere » Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 am

1461748123 wrote:
RMwashere wrote:Can a smaller version be made in order to fit an a Gameboy Pocket/Color?
I don't have the pcb design for Gameboy Pocket, so I would say no :(
If you can find one, I can modify that for sure!

I don't know if this will help, but I found a forum post where some guy wanted to put a MGB inside of a DMG for some reason: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14273 ... se/page/2/.

It has some schematics and what not on there for the DMG button layout as well as some info on the MGB. Could this info be used to make a pcb small enough to fit in the Pocket/Color?

Once again, I'm a complete and total noob here. Feel free to blam in necessary. :cry:

m3zz4nine

Post by m3zz4nine » Tue May 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello SudoMod Folks!

First of all: Thanks for your work and effort wermy.
What you've done was such a great inspiration, that we started our own slightly different project :)
(...we even pay homage on your actions on our website. you can check it out if you have no problem with the german language ;) )

Now to my concern
I just wanna ask the creator of this thread - are you still accepting pcb orders?
I am the founder of a German Gameboy Zero (http://www.zeroboy.eu) Group and most of the members are interested in getting a "fair price" pcb board (because most of the pcb boards are from overseas, with horrendous shipping...).
Our project goal is to create a Gameboy Classic Zero mod, without destroying a single working gameboy classic, because we all had one in our childhood and we feel sad in "destroying" something threatened with extinction :)
This PCB solution is just perfect for us!

An another little questions from some of our members:
Is it a good solution, connecting the buttons straight to the GPIO of the zero (without teensy?). I think the inputs be taken slower and some other issues. What is are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks again
p!

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 pm

m3zz4nine wrote: Is it a good solution, connecting the buttons straight to the GPIO of the zero (without teensy?). I think the inputs be taken slower and some other issues.
Welcome to the forum.
The main difference between the GPIO and the Teensy is that the Teensy is more modular and easy to program/modify. The GPIO is definitely a viable option, although it does take up pins that would otherwise be able to be used for other things. :)

username

Post by username » Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I was wondering what tool you used to generate the gerbers. I was hoping to create a project myself to play with the design and possibly adapt it to other form factors. I have access to an official version of Altium(Protel) through work. Guessing maybe freeware versions may be available for simple designs like this though.

Did you test the boards you received yet? Did they seem to work well?

yves1984

Post by yves1984 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:42 am

SudoNinja wrote:
kite wrote:
yves1984 wrote:What is about the other Parts?
Has someone a idea witch power switch is it? So i can order it ;)?
I too am really interested in power switch! I haven't been able to find a suitable one.. I have bought some of these: (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-10PC ... 93839.html) which while they only have 3pins (so not the same as the original) I'm hoping the slide action and size will fit in the original switch plastic bit.. I'm making a custom PCB so exact part not necessary, but one that will fit and operate correctly is a must!
Im using this for the Audio switch, Its fairly simple to understand and switches the speaker to the headphone jack and back again nicely:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/ ... Gwod8_MFyg
Has someone a adress to order one Audio Jack in Germany? or perhabs from aliexpress a good one?

buttguy

Post by buttguy » Mon May 30, 2016 10:25 am

What size wires do y'all use for the custom PCB? I have one from Kitsch-bent, but 22guage wires seem to be a little too big.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:06 am

Is there anything like this that would work to control a Raspberry Pi Zero that is running RetroPie primarily for the GBA games? I hope so because otherwise it looks like I would have to spend $20+ on a "teensy".

I'm currently working on building 2 different versions of this. One will be going in a DMG-01 shell so it would probably be compatible with with this board in terms of shape and fit, and the other is going inside a GBA SP shell. For the latter I would obviously need a smaller board so that it all fits! Loving the $10 price to US with shipping included though!

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:57 am

joe7dust wrote:Is there anything like this that would work to control a Raspberry Pi Zero that is running RetroPie primarily for the GBA games? I hope so because otherwise it looks like I would have to spend + on a "teensy".

I'm currently working on building 2 different versions of this. One will be going in a DMG-01 shell so it would probably be compatible with with this board in terms of shape and fit, and the other is going inside a GBA SP shell. For the latter I would obviously need a smaller board so that it all fits! Loving the price to US with shipping included though!
Either use the Button PCB with integrated Teensy or just buy a 32u4 arduino pro micro (leonardo) clone module, that should work as well as a teensy lc.
They are about 5$ each.

Charon

Post by Charon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:01 am

joe7dust wrote:Is there anything like this that would work to control a Raspberry Pi Zero that is running RetroPie primarily for the GBA games? I hope so because otherwise it looks like I would have to spend $20+ on a "teensy".
why not simply connect the pushbuttons to the GPIOs ?

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:51 am

Charon wrote:
joe7dust wrote:Is there anything like this that would work to control a Raspberry Pi Zero that is running RetroPie primarily for the GBA games? I hope so because otherwise it looks like I would have to spend $20+ on a "teensy".
why not simply connect the pushbuttons to the GPIOs ?
I am going to look into doing just that! My goal here is to spend as little as possible on extra hardware. For example I found a DC-DC booster board on ebay that will allow me to run it all off a cellphone battery for just $3 instead shelling out for the 1000c from those guys who charge $10 shipping on sub $200 orders. Only downside there is I lose the low voltage protection I think so I'll have to be sure and never run the battery dead else I'd risk SDcard corruption.

I'm also going to use a $2 amplifier and 99 cent used internal laptop speaker for the audio instead of the $5 + $10 shipping "proper" setup. ;)
Fleder wrote:
joe7dust wrote:Is there anything like this that would work to control a Raspberry Pi Zero that is running RetroPie primarily for the GBA games? I hope so because otherwise it looks like I would have to spend + on a "teensy".

I'm currently working on building 2 different versions of this. One will be going in a DMG-01 shell so it would probably be compatible with with this board in terms of shape and fit, and the other is going inside a GBA SP shell. For the latter I would obviously need a smaller board so that it all fits! Loving the price to US with shipping included though!
Either use the Button PCB with integrated Teensy or just buy a 32u4 arduino pro micro (leonardo) clone module, that should work as well as a teensy lc.
They are about 5$ each.
That is good to know, thanks for that! Will definitely check out the arduino sometime if I ever need a microcontroller.