New to electronics and wondering how to get started

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Trixelit

New to electronics and wondering how to get started

Post by Trixelit » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:46 am

I've been trying to make a parts list, but I've run into a couple of roadblocks with the PCB and the buttons, both parts that arent available anymore, title says the rest

AlmostSunTzu

Re: New to electronics and wondering how to get started

Post by AlmostSunTzu » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:13 pm

You could try to find a lightly used, or even a brand new Kite board that someone never ended up installing. Also I think there are generic PCBs out there.

Buttons? I found a bunch on HandHeldLegend.com (part #GBD1525) called Game Boy DMG Standard Buttons - Black (they have other colors).

As far as getting started in general, I just bought a cheap soldering iron on amazon and practiced soldering on some spare parts I had lying around. I definitely recommend getting an assortment of tips for your iron so you don’t get stuck with one tip that’s too large for your purposes. I had never soldered before in my life and after a few practice solders was able to get the Raspberry Pi Zero soldered to the Circuit Sword Lite without issues. Just watch a tutorial video.

Good luck!