Advice on Gameboy Zero Build

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
infinitLoop

Re: Advice on Gameboy Zero Build

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:04 pm

kenibark6 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:00 am
Hey everyone,

I was looking for a project and always wanted to work with RaspberryPi. So after some researching, I came across the Gameboy Zero and I was hooked. But so was my self-doubt ... Therefore, I have some questions for you

Is this a good first project? "First" in the sense of working with RaspberryPi and also in the sense of modding, soldering, working with electrical parts, ...

If yes, which route would you recommend? Going for a kit or building it from scratch?

Lastly, which parts need the most attention? E.g. it probably won't matter from which shop I buy the case. But there are probably differences between the other components (e.g. screen ...). I hope, you get my question.

Cheers
that's pretty subjective honestly. it depends on what you want to get out of it. if you just want a neat little retro handheld, get a kit. if you want to explore the pi and electronics and that sort of stuff (which this is a GREAT project for, imho), then you can take it to all sorts of places, from a "basic" build to more advanced stuff, different screens, battery monitors, fancy leds, etc, etc. the sky's the limit at that point, but it's definitely "get out what you put in".

i'm biased, but i think if you check out my bmo build and my gbcz builds, you can get a really good idea on how to do a fairly advanced path, that's still beginner friendly. and there are a hundred and one other builds and guides around here and youtubes and stuff, for more ideas and inspiration.

:)