Screen Surround/Bezel: What Do

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
kamon

Screen Surround/Bezel: What Do

Post by kamon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Hey guys!

Long time lurker of this forum and very first post, woo!
I am coming near the end of my GBZ build; big thanks for Wermy and everyone who has taken the time to post their invaluable findings here on the forum!

I have one thing that's really bugging me, though: the screen surround.

I have an imperfect ~2mm bezel that I left around the screen that I am going to use to mount one of kitsch-bent's clear screen protectors. The problem is, due to my shaky hands, the bezel is far from ideal. I was wanting to add a small 2-3mm screen surround to go around the screen to hide my shoddy job, but I can't seem to find any. The only one I know of is dom's, but I already have a screen protector, and don't want to spend $15+ to get a new one from him(his look great, though, major props to him!).

I was thinking about cutting black paper and putting it around the bezel, or painting, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or tips, or know of anyone willing to cut some stickers for me?

Thanks again, guys!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Screen Surround/Bezel: What Do

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm

kamon wrote:Hey guys!

I am coming near the end of my GBZ build; big thanks for Wermy and everyone who has taken the time to post their invaluable findings here on the forum!

I have an imperfect ~2mm bezel that I left around the screen that I am going to use to mount one of kitsch-bent's clear screen protectors. The problem is, due to my shaky hands, the bezel is far from ideal. I was wanting to add a small 2-3mm screen surround to go around the screen to hide my shoddy job, but I can't seem to find any. The only one I know of is dom's, but I already have a screen protector, and don't want to spend $15+ to get a new one from him(his look great, though, major props to him!).

I was thinking about cutting black paper and putting it around the bezel, or painting, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or tips, or know of anyone willing to cut some stickers for me?

Thanks again, guys!
Hey, welcome! :) You might want to check out some of @solder 's for-sale threads. He's been selling acrylic screen protectors that also have a thin bezel around the edge, which would hide the edge you're describing.
ImageImageImageImage

kamon

Post by kamon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 pm

wermy wrote:
kamon wrote:Hey guys!

Thanks again, guys!
Hey, welcome! :) You might want to check out some of @solder 's for-sale threads. He's been selling acrylic screen protectors that also have a thin bezel around the edge, which would hide the edge you're describing.
Thanks for that, wermy!
Doesn't look like he's selling any right now, :(.
Crossing my fingers someone else either has something on the cheap side or a solution to modify my existing screen protector to give it the edging around it.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:58 am

Hi there,

for early testing, i just used a template cut out of paper and placed it in the middle of the screen protector, then used black nail polish to colour the border.
It works quite well if you have a good nail polish that lets you paint on really thin.
You surely can use any other type of paint, but the nail polish is really easy to remove if you messed up.

Just be sure to work slow and steady and use as little as possible,
then wait long enough for it to completely dry, or else you will get fuzzy edges.

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:41 am

I can't find my post to link...

I taped 1.5mm thick electrical tape around the bezel like this. It's stretchy and goes round the corner easily.
[spoiler="Bezel taped"]Image[/spoiler]
The used a marker to colour in the remaining portion of plastic. After removing the tape, I filed the coloured plastic away until none was left, leaving a perfectly straight edge.
[spoiler="Filed and sanded"]Image[/spoiler]

kamon

Post by kamon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Fleder wrote:Hi there,

for early testing, i just used a template cut out of paper and placed it in the middle of the screen protector, then used black nail polish to colour the border.
It works quite well if you have a good nail polish that lets you paint on really thin.
You surely can use any other type of paint, but the nail polish is really easy to remove if you messed up.

Just be sure to work slow and steady and use as little as possible,
then wait long enough for it to completely dry, or else you will get fuzzy edges.
Thanks for the tip!
Did you find painting the front of the screen, or the back of the screen to look better?
And, you just used regular gloss nail polish, right? Not any special gel, matte, etc?

kamon

Post by kamon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Camble wrote:I can't find my post to link...

I taped 1.5mm thick electrical tape around the bezel like this. It's stretchy and goes round the corner easily.
[spoiler="Bezel taped"]Image[/spoiler]
The used a marker to colour in the remaining portion of plastic. After removing the tape, I filed the coloured plastic away until none was left, leaving a perfectly straight edge.
[spoiler="Filed and sanded"]Image[/spoiler]
That was my original plan, but I kind of messed my bezel up, so was hoping I could find a way to cover it up, haha. Figure I could cut a piece of paper/plastic that was straight, or as Fleder suggested, use some nail polish to pain your own screen surround onto the actual screen :D

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 pm

kamon wrote:Thanks for the tip!
Did you find painting the front of the screen, or the back of the screen to look better?
And, you just used regular gloss nail polish, right? Not any special gel, matte, etc?
I just used the one my fiance had around :D
I applied it to the front, to have a level surface for it to rest on and it did dry quite matte.
Just try it out with a cheap one and remove it with nail polish remover or acetone if it does not look good.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:44 am

Fleder wrote:Just try it out with a cheap one and remove it with nail polish remover or acetone if it does not look good.
This destroys the case. Definitely not very recommended, but since it's the only choice be EXTREMELY careful not to get the acetone on any external area that you plan on looking at.

FreddySalted

Post by FreddySalted » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:10 am

You could try and find some pin striping tape at your local car accessories store and run that around the edge of the screen protector