Using rearview camera display

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Thatbraziliann

Using rearview camera display

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 am

I may be jumping the gun here since I haven't completely taken apart my nice shopping display yet( I do know I have the one with the small control board and separate control board for the buttons whew!) Will the process be very similar to the Adafruit display (besides tweaking it to run on 5v?)

I understand red is 5v, black is ground yellow and white would be video so I just take them out of the female connector that they come with and mount it the same way?

sorry if this question seems dumb It just took me forever to get a pi0 and the last thing I want to do is mess it up at all haha

ktechelonbreak

Re: Using rearview camera display

Post by ktechelonbreak » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 am

Take a picture of the order of the cables first, it will be good reference once you desolder those wires. Yes the R and B wires go to the power and ground. If you have a power supply for the RPi0 already, you can use the pads on the back side of the RPi0 to power the screen and hook it up at the same time.
Reference:
http://hackers.gallery/841/misc/raspber ... ad-probing

Red goes to PP1, black PP6, yellow and white wire are shown in wermy's new video. Link below is time marked where he shows the hook up for the wires for testing.
Link:
https://youtu.be/sbLAoOCit5k?t=226

One thing I noticed from the video was that the Adafruit TFT seems to have a slightly better picture than the rear camera one. The color is a bit sharper and more accurate. The raspberry "leaves" are actually green while on the rearview screen, it's more of a yellowish-green. That being said, I tested a few SNES games and never noticed anything off so it's probably fine.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 1:03 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:Take a picture of the order of the cables first, it will be good reference once you desolder those wires. Yes the R and B wires go to the power and ground. If you have a power supply for the RPi0 already, you can use the pads on the back side of the RPi0 to power the screen and hook it up at the same time.
Reference:
http://hackers.gallery/841/misc/raspber ... ad-probing

Red goes to PP1, black PP6, yellow and white wire are shown in wermy's new video. Link below is time marked where he shows the hook up for the wires for testing.
Link:
https://youtu.be/sbLAoOCit5k?t=226

One thing I noticed from the video was that the Adafruit TFT seems to have a slightly better picture than the rear camera one. The color is a bit sharper and more accurate. The raspberry "leaves" are actually green while on the rearview screen, it's more of a yellowish-green. That being said, I tested a few SNES games and never noticed anything off so it's probably fine.
When you say a power supply do you mean a battery?
I dont have one yet I was waiting until the end of the build to see the biggest one I could get. So Im guessing I would still attach red and black to the same place wermy did in his video..

(/sidenote/ if I solder them into those points when I desolder those wires off wont that usb pwr hub come off? or will I just add solder to keep it there?)

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Wed May 11, 2016 1:09 am

It's actually pretty hard to desolder a USB port, trust me I've tried. The pads on the back will be fine don't worry. For testing purposes you should have a power supply brick that outputs 5V 1A with a USB connector and just connect a micro USB cable to that and power up the RPi0 using the built in micro USB connector.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 1:15 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:It's actually pretty hard to desolder a USB port, trust me I've tried. The pads on the back will be fine don't worry. For testing purposes you should have a power supply brick that outputs 5V 1A with a USB connector and just connect a micro USB cable to that and power up the RPi0 using the built in micro USB connector.
Yeah I have one of those. I got the RPI0 starter kit from adafruit (24.99) that came with a bunch of extra goodies. So are the two points you mentioned for black and red different than the two points in @wermys video?

Edit: nevermind yes they are I just looked real close at the video haha. Thanks for all the help @ktecheleonbreak your a life saver.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 am

This is the backup camera I have that I got off amazon. Looks like it is the correct one that Wermy was talking about in his information thread. Does anyone know or have tried converting it to run off 5v yet? That is what I need to know.
Attachments
IMG_20160511_063306.jpg
IMG_20160511_063306.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 8010 times

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 am

I received some feedback that the screen I have my be able to run off 5v without any modification. I will be testing this hopefully tonight and will report back.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 10:16 am

dirtybeagles wrote:I received some feedback that the screen I have my be able to run off 5v without any modification. I will be testing this hopefully tonight and will report back.
@dirtybeagles I have the exact same screen (same board and everything) and can confirm that it does run off of 5v.

(sidenote/ Im having trouble prying it open though for some reason theres only one screw but the thing is on there tightly.)

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed May 11, 2016 10:38 am

I also have this screen/board an have just soldered it to the zero, works fine. how ever the screen seems fuzzy/ blurry is there anything i can do to fix this ? messing with the brightness/contrast etc. didn't seem to work .

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 10:53 am

Blenderhead wrote:I also have this screen/board an have just soldered it to the zero, works fine. how ever the screen seems fuzzy/ blurry is there anything i can do to fix this ? messing with the brightness/contrast etc. didn't seem to work .
Hmm, that seems concerning. I wonder if anyone else has this problem? I will be setting mine up tonight and will report back.