Potential fix for USB pad problems

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
User avatar
PotaTox
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by PotaTox » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:54 pm

So, recently I became stuck on part six of Wermy's guide because for whatever reason, the USB test pads on the pi outright refused to work, no matter what I threw at it. However, it worked when I plugged in with an OTG cable. So, I thought "What are differences between using wires rather than an OTG cable?", and I figured it out.

Mini and Micro USB have an extra pin, called ID. When you use an OTG cable, the cable grounds that ID pin. So, you need to ground that pin. What I did is I put a bit of solder on the surface mount pins for the micro usb port, and poof it worked :lol:
EDIT: PolletjeNL said that putting a small cable between test pad 35 and 40 gives the same result, since they are connected to the micro-usb port's pins. You can use whichever method you want, since the end result is the same.

I made a really poor diagram of it.
Image

You may notice that the topic says potential fix. That is because I don't know if it's just my Rpi Zero, or why I had to do it while Wermy didn't. If you can't get your hub to work, try this. It may help.
Last edited by PotaTox on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BadBert
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:14 am
Location: Hoogerheide, Netherlands
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by BadBert » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 am

awsome tip, thanks!

just wired up my usb hub and usb stuff...

hope to be able to test everything soon :)
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

User avatar
PotaTox
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by PotaTox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:34 pm

BadBert wrote:awsome tip, thanks!

just wired up my usb hub and usb stuff...

hope to be able to test everything soon :)
So are you saying this because you had problems and this helped?

User avatar
BadBert
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:14 am
Location: Hoogerheide, Netherlands
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by BadBert » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:56 am

I have not tested, but if it does not work, i know something to fix it :P
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

Jpayne30
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by Jpayne30 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 am

PotaTox wrote:So, recently I became stuck on part six of Wermy's guide because for whatever reason, the USB test pads on the pi outright refused to work, no matter what I threw at it. However, it worked when I plugged in with an OTG cable. So, I thought "What are differences between using wires rather than an OTG cable?", and I figured it out.

Mini and Micro USB have an extra pin, called ID. When you use an OTG cable, the cable grounds that ID pin. So, you need to ground that pin. What I did is I put a bit of solder on the surface mount pins for the micro usb port, and poof it worked :lol: .

I made a really poor diagram of it.
Image

You may notice that the topic says potential fix. That is because I don't know if it's just my Rpi Zero, or why I had to do it while Wermy didn't. If you can't get your hub to work, try this. It may help.
This fixed my hub/teensy control issues. Thanks for sharing!

User avatar
PotaTox
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by PotaTox » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Jpayne30 wrote: This fixed my hub/teensy control issues. Thanks for sharing!
Glad I could be of use.

User avatar
Camble
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 am
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by Camble » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

Great find! Thanks!

User avatar
fcib
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:18 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by fcib » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:31 am

I'm planning on doing this if my hub doesn't work once I solder it to my pi.

Any downsides on soldering the ID pin with ground?

Justblair
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:48 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by Justblair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 am

I am having the same problem. Cant wait to test this..

One thing, I did modify my firmware to access the pi in OTG mode from my PC. I thought I had reverted the modifications back, but I wonder if a driver has changed somewhere?

You did not happen to do the same in the past did you?

User avatar
fcib
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:18 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by fcib » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 am

Justblair wrote:I am having the same problem. Cant wait to test this..

One thing, I did modify my firmware to access the pi in OTG mode from my PC. I thought I had reverted the modifications back, but I wonder if a driver has changed somewhere?

You did not happen to do the same in the past did you?
I haven't done this, but am curious.

Did you make some change so you could plug it in via micro usb -> usb and access the SD card from your pc?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest