Question about wires

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Spookbroodje

Question about wires

Post by Spookbroodje » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:25 am

Hey

Sp my uncle has a unlimited ammount of wires (9 wire ribbon) and its 22awg, which are grey but can be colored.
Is it possible to use this type for everything or do i need to use 28awg aswell (which is read somewhere).

Thanks for the tips in forehand.

AerynSun

Re: Question about wires

Post by AerynSun » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 pm

You can use 22AWG for everything, but you don't need to. Meaning all the data connections can be done with thinner wires, like 26 or 28, etc. They are easier to handle. I used an old ethernet cat5 cable to get cables for data. They are thin and also already color coded.

Have a look at that thread:
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =awg#p7939

swingflip

Post by swingflip » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Just use thicker stuff where you have lots of current running through it.

I.e 5v and ground from breakout to power boost to power strip to use hub.

Don't try and half arse it and not colour the wires or you will be shooting yourself in the foot later on in the project and have a bad connection somewhere!

Spookbroodje

Post by Spookbroodje » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:31 pm

AerynSun wrote:You can use 22AWG for everything, but you don't need to. Meaning all the data connections can be done with thinner wires, like 26 or 28, etc. They are easier to handle. I used an old ethernet cat5 cable to get cables for data. They are thin and also already color coded.

Have a look at that thread:
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =awg#p7939

I will ask if he has 26awg aswell.
Arent the cat5 ethernet cables made off 22awg aswell?

Spookbroodje

Post by Spookbroodje » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:48 am

Ok since it was dark and i was tired.
The wires i got from my uncle was 9wires, 28awg.

So i do need 22awg aswell right?

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:00 pm

For anything carrying power (for a pi zero gameboy project) you want 26awg or under (24... 22... etc). I suppose I should say 24awg really to have all bases covered, as I don't know what you are trying to power and what power sources you are using. 28awg is perfect for all the other data wires (button wiring,etc) as they're thin and flexible, but don't skimp on the power thickness wires. In general you can 'double' up thinner wires in place of the next thickness of wire up (2x 28awg in place of 26awg for example) but this gets messy very fast.

Spookbroodje

Post by Spookbroodje » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Zero wrote:For anything carrying power (for a pi zero gameboy project) you want 26awg or under (24... 22... etc). I suppose I should say 24awg really to have all bases covered, as I don't know what you are trying to power and what power sources you are using. 28awg is perfect for all the other data wires (button wiring,etc) as they're thin and flexible, but don't skimp on the power thickness wires. In general you can 'double' up thinner wires in place of the next thickness of wire up (2x 28awg in place of 26awg for example) but this gets messy very fast.
Thanks,
As the company my uncle works for only uses 28awg, I will visit my local hardware store if they have 22/24 awg wires for the power.

And yeah im going to do the exact build Wermy did in the guides, and use a power source simular to his.