Custom/Aftermarket Build Guide Part 2

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
wermy
Site Admin

Custom/Aftermarket Build Guide Part 2

Post by wermy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:12 pm

ImageImageImageImage

AJRedfern

Re: Custom/Aftermarket Build Guide Part 2

Post by AJRedfern » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Awesome, I look forward to moving forward on my build. Can't wait. Thank you @wermy

Also, thank you for the mention, the splash screen looks really nice. I'm currently working on a longer version which should hopefully cover the boot text.
AJRedfern - Author of the Game Boy Zero Splash Screen seen in Wermy's Custom Parts Guide Pt 2.
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1440

myPiZero

Post by myPiZero » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks.
Can you make a review about your 3D printer?

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:47 am

Do you have any tips for soldering the cartridge reader? Would it be a bad idea to bend the pins we need upwards so they aren't coming into contact with the neighboring pins during or after the soldering work? Or using heat shrink tubing?

Honestly thank you for your work. I keep upgrading my components to the best available, but the guide this time answered a lot of major questions I still had. Just wish I had a 3D printer to solve all problems in life hahaha.

Tron

Post by Tron » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:56 am

Awesome!

Do you have any details on the power switch you used, I managed to destroy my original one :oops:

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:28 am

Another great guide, well done.

P.S. Shame there's no thumbs up 'emoticon' here or I'd be using it. :D

DarrylUK

Post by DarrylUK » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:13 am

Good guide.

Interesting to hear what you said about the cartridge reader. It's the main reason that I'm leaving that out of my build. It's a bit of a novelty and just adds failure points.

It would have been nice to see the integration of a safe shutdown circuit such as Cambles.

One thing that's different to what I've done is the power to the external USB port. I've taken mine from the AIO whereas you took power from the PB itself. I can't see that it'd make a difference but does it matter?

Muon

Post by Muon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 am

DarrylUK wrote:One thing that's different to what I've done is the power to the external USB port. I've taken mine from the AIO whereas you took power from the PB itself. I can't see that it'd make a difference but does it matter?
I was wondering about this myself, Helder actually mentioned it in the AIO thread...
Helder wrote:The OshPark power strip isn't needed unless you have alot of things you need to power that the AIO strip can't supply.
So can we get away without using it and free up a little space?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:45 am

Muon wrote:
DarrylUK wrote:One thing that's different to what I've done is the power to the external USB port. I've taken mine from the AIO whereas you took power from the PB itself. I can't see that it'd make a difference but does it matter?
I was wondering about this myself, Helder actually mentioned it in the AIO thread...
I just did it for simpler/cleaner wiring, honestly. It's right next to the powerboost (where I put mine, anyway), so I didn't have to run power wires to the other side of the case by connecting it to the PB directly.
Ganreizu wrote:Do you have any tips for soldering the cartridge reader? Would it be a bad idea to bend the pins we need upwards so they aren't coming into contact with the neighboring pins during or after the soldering work? Or using heat shrink tubing?

Honestly thank you for your work. I keep upgrading my components to the best available, but the guide this time answered a lot of major questions I still had. Just wish I had a 3D printer to solve all problems in life hahaha.
Thanks! Yeah the printer is nice, almost feels like cheating sometimes haha. As for the cartridge reader, it's honestly not bat at all to work with. Bending the pins up might help a bit. The biggest help will be to add some solder to each pin itself first rather than just trying to solder the wire onto it all at once, if that makes sense.
ImageImageImageImage

Muon

Post by Muon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am

wermy wrote:I just did it for simpler/cleaner wiring, honestly. It's right next to the powerboost (where I put mine, anyway), so I didn't have to run power wires to the other side of the case by connecting it to the PB directly.
Ah, makes sense, thanks. :)