Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Pumpytums

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Pumpytums » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:54 am

I have a feeling it may be a problem with the power feed I was running screen and Pi Zero off two different sockets on the same power block.

I tried it again and re-soldered the wire and it seems okay now. Very odd indeed.

I'm sorry to pull this thread off topic.

BTW can I post info on GPIO SPI displays on this thread I have 2 different ones with all the settings to post?

Many thanks

Grimmjow

Post by Grimmjow » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Guys, I hace a V7 Display Variant. I tried the display few weeks ago and it works well but display was show a little flickering and I made a Jumper From red cable to chmc soh chip. And now is not working, I fried the display?
I removed the Jumper and resoldered all cables and still not working. RPI0 works fine connected to HDMI on another TV.
Any advice? Thanks

P.D: Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 8605 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 8605 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 8605 times

Zero

Post by Zero » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Based on your wiring I'd say something might have shorted out. Too much bare wire with no insulation on it that could have come in contact with other wires. Remove all wires and all the solder and try again with neater insulated wires. Maybe you'll get lucky and you didn't short anything out.

Rog585

Post by Rog585 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 pm

KaiKona808 wrote:@Rog585

I have the same screen as you. I am no expert so just sharing info from how I was advised in wiring my board for this same screen.

From the video driver board:
AV source (yellow wire): connect to TV on Pi (where you have it now)
GND (black): connect to TV ground on Pi - where you have the orange wire going (Note: you have it wired to two places on your Pi. Remove the one you have to the USB ground).
5v (red): connect to 5v on powerboost (though you can wire to a 5v on the Pi to test, but recommend for the long run wire to 5v on powerboost)

Also trim those leads. You can easily see the 5v jumper wire at risk of touching other parts easily.

It took me a few tries of reading and testing and this is what worked for me.
Thanks for your advice, I haven't had chance to try it yet but will soon and report back!

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:00 am

Grimmjow wrote:Hi Guys, I hace a V7 Display Variant. I tried the display few weeks ago and it works well but display was show a little flickering and I made a Jumper From red cable to chmc soh chip. And now is not working, I fried the display?
I removed the Jumper and resoldered all cables and still not working. RPI0 works fine connected to HDMI on another TV.
Any advice? Thanks

Basicamente lo que te han dicho. Quita los cables y vuelve a soldarlos, tienes demasiado cable expuesto, que podria generar un corto.
Por otro lado, en la foto ampliada del chip, parece que hay algo liquido. ¿Es flux? ¿O se ha derretido el chip?
Tengo la misma placa, y con el cable como lo habias puesto deberia funcionar.

Grimmjow

Post by Grimmjow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:23 am

Tamasco wrote:
Grimmjow wrote:Hi Guys, I hace a V7 Display Variant. I tried the display few weeks ago and it works well but display was show a little flickering and I made a Jumper From red cable to chmc soh chip. And now is not working, I fried the display?
Any advice? Thanks

Basicamente lo que te han dicho. Quita los cables y vuelve a soldarlos, tienes demasiado cable expuesto, que podria generar un corto.
Por otro lado, en la foto ampliada del chip, parece que hay algo liquido. ¿Es flux? ¿O se ha derretido el chip?
Tengo la misma placa, y con el cable como lo habias puesto deberia funcionar.
He resoldado todo y nada, sigue sin funcionar. Lo del chip no es flux, imagino que lo toque con el soldador. Antes tenia uno de esos cutres gordos, ahora tengo un JBC 14st y ya mejor.
He vuelto a pedir una pantalla a ver si con suerte me llega una V7.

Gracias igualmente.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Grimmjow wrote: He resoldado todo y nada, sigue sin funcionar. Lo del chip no es flux, imagino que lo toque con el soldador. Antes tenia uno de esos cutres gordos, ahora tengo un JBC 14st y ya mejor.
He vuelto a pedir una pantalla a ver si con suerte me llega una V7.

Gracias igualmente.
Entonces es posible que hayas quemado ese chip. No tires aun la toalla, y prueba a desoldar y quitar el chip totalmente. Realmente el chip no es necesario, y despues de quitarlo, habria que poner el cable puente otra vez. Quizas tengas suerte, y funcioné.

De todas formas, estas pantallas no son muy caras, asique tampoco supone una gran perdida. Yo llevo ya 5 pantallas compradas :lol: Dos de ellas funcionando, cada una para una GameBoy distinta, una con pantalla rota (tu misma version de placa), otra que fue la primera que compré que desguace totalmente (puedes verlo en el seguimiento de mi proyecto), y otra mas que dejo de funcionarme misteriosamente.

Te recomiendo la BW de Amazon. La he comprado, y me ha llegado la V7. No es mucho mas caro que las chinas de ebay o Aliexpress (casi 19€), y te llega en un dia con el Premiun de Amazon. Asi no esperas mucho para continuar el proyecto.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B006MP ... UTF8&psc=1

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:07 pm

uhm, okay guys. take this to pm's maybe?
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Obese Daemon

Post by Obese Daemon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Sorry to just jump in here with all things going on and such, new member to the forum and community and to me one of the most important things is the screen and quiality i don't really have any/much experience at all with coding/soldering etc but i am a tweaker and love to just mess with things see what happens and learn like just taken things apart for the fun of it :D

Anyway i'm posting as my first post to see what resolutions and screen sizes are generally best, most people seem to use like 320x320 or something is it which looks okay but seems abit lacking and i'm sure i saw somewhere someone mention a 640x640 res? which even if costing somewhat more would be the route i would want to take because if i am going to do this i want to do it properly :)

So i guess would just like someone to quickly run over things or point me in some generally directions because to me a screen is one of the vital items. also some screens seem only just fitting like any sort of screen protection/bezel type thing would cover part of it which again would not be desired.

Either way thanks in advance and any info is a great help

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:09 pm

CaptainDurden wrote:uhm, okay guys. take this to pm's maybe?
Sorry about that. I guess it should have been in English :lol: