Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Zero

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Zero » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 am

@damian
If it's a v7 bw board, in the wiki it says that it doesn't require any mod to run off 5v, so why have you soldered the yellow wire on?
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... te_Display

Also your video signal may be on the other channel. Perhaps it's just one of a combination of these things that you haven't tried yet. Sounds like you have tried most though.

As you have a lot of bare wire there, running a high risk of wires touching and therefore shorting out, which will instantly damage susceptible components. Maybe you've fried something. Looks like a lot of solder was used as well, which makes it easy to accidentally bridge connections. It's a good idea to practise soldering on old electronics to get your confidence levels up beforehand.

In your photo it looks like a live wire is touching the metal of the display so that would most likely have instantly gone to ground and shorted out.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:06 am

Zero wrote:@damian
If it's a v7 bw board, in the wiki it says that it doesn't require any mod to run off 5v, so why have you soldered the yellow wire on?
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... te_Display
Actually, the wiki could use an update there. While it technically works unmodified, there's a LOT of phasing without that jumper wire.
Image Image

damian

Post by damian » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 pm

I figured it out. It was because NOOBS doesn't do tv out by default. Have to change output by following these steps. https://bhavyanshu.me/tutorials/force-r ... 03/03/2014

:D :D :D :D

laluva

Post by laluva » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:19 am

Running this screen on 5v with this mod.
Leg on regulator is lifted from pcb and is only in contact with jumperwire.
If leg was connected to both pcb and jumperwire screen was very unstable.
Attachments
DSC_3337.JPG
DSC_3337.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 9103 times
DSC_3336.JPG
DSC_3336.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 9103 times

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Not entirely satisfied with the V7 BW screen that most people are ending up with (gets too hot and temporarily causes random white pixels). I'm rolling the dice on the "Audiovox ACAM350 3.5" Color TFT LCD Back Up Camera Car Monitor- SJ704" for 13 bucks. The housing is different than the BWs, and I've actually heard of the brand.

Will report back when I get it.

Worst case, it sounds like it comes with lots of wire that I can re-use. :lol:

(Doh! Could've saved a few bucks and got it for $10 used on Amazon.)
Image Image

$3ck

Post by $3ck » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:46 am

Just got that screen : http://ebay.de/itm/DC12V-3-5-TFT-LCD-Co ... EST_OFFERS

It says its resolution is 640x480. I don't know if it's right or not. Don't know yet if it works on 5V. I'll check that as soon as I can and reply on this post.
Attachments
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 9043 times
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4405.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 9043 times
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 9043 times

chaosratt

Post by chaosratt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:22 pm

SP00N- wrote:
Helder wrote: I highly doubt it's that resolution but if it let us know as I'd like to pick one up and being 3 inch screen is also appealing to me as well.
It's hard to find something that is good. I don't want to buy stuff that is wrong or not usable or could be better. Or maybe im overdoing it and shouldn't be sp picky :roll: .

I also found this. Not sure if it's capable with the zero because I don't really a
Know annything about the zero yet ;).
https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product ... NewVersion

@Helder what sort of screen would you advise then?
I have some details on that display over in my build. Works with a Pi0, but unfortunately is too large to fit int a DMG shell.

Cellane

Post by Cellane » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:31 am

Quick information about this display from Alibaba since people are reporting getting two different variants of the display. The display by default requires the voltage of 12V; however, it can be modified to require only 5V. You need to specify this request during the communication with the seller/manufacturer – and since this is Alibaba, not Aliexpress, you will communicate with them. Make sure they understand what you mean – my conversation with them went back and forth a bit since I refused to confirm the order until they acknowledge in writing that they are aware of my request. My recommendation is to use simple sentences, too, since you're dealing with quite the language barrier. Additional recommendation would be to also remind them of this request during PayPal checkout in the Note to seller field.

It sounds like a bit of a hassle but you'll be rewarded with a driver board that has a “5V” sticker on it :) A little warning to finish this post with: you might get lucky (like a work colleague of mine) or you might get unlucky and get a display with lazy pixel that shines green all the time :?

I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier but searching through this thread didn't suggest that.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:40 am

RxBrad wrote:Not entirely satisfied with the V7 BW screen that most people are ending up with (gets too hot and temporarily causes random white pixels). I'm rolling the dice on the "Audiovox ACAM350 3.5" Color TFT LCD Back Up Camera Car Monitor- SJ704" for 13 bucks. The housing is different than the BWs, and I've actually heard of the brand.

Will report back when I get it.
So, this display isn't exactly ideal for a GBZ. The board is pretty big. I'll try to Dremel it down, but the left side might be a challenge. Those through-holes appear to bridge multiple components on the PCB. And I haven't even tried it on 5V yet... (EDIT: It appears to use the same chipset as the Adafruit display that wermy used in his first build guide -- so it should work if I can make it fit)

Image Image

rogersouza

Post by rogersouza » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:23 am

I've got the same board as yours but no "life sinal" whatsoever, even with the mod =(
I did a lot of research with no success with that.
Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot

Spruc3Moose wrote:I have the BW screen sold by touchshop...I ordered it off amazon in the US. It works fine with 5v without any modifications needed so far. :D

Attachments
Arquivo_001.jpeg
Arquivo_001.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 8863 times
Arquivo_000.jpeg
Arquivo_000.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 8863 times