Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RxBrad

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by RxBrad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 pm

jellybelly wrote:the board is to wide to fit inside the GB case
@majestic Unfortunately, I think he's right. There's a similar-sized board that can be cut down to fit, but your variant appears to have quite a bit of circuitry on the parts of the board that you'd need to chop off.
Image Image

JoshL

Post by JoshL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:45 pm

I had the same board in my LCD.

I chopped it down as far as I could, but when I tried to see if it worked, all I got was a white screen (just the backlight I assume).

gijoe4500

Post by gijoe4500 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm

RogerX wrote:Something New...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351913962824

I'm waiting on mine to confirm, but in reading the description and How-To document linked in the auction:
  • It pulls power directly from a dedicated MicroUSB input and supplies the Pi through the header
  • It gets image and sound data from HDMI (mini HDMI adapter required for the Pi Zero)
  • It provides audio out via a headphone jack
  • It has a GPIO connection for the touch interface that I'm assuming can be ignored/removed
  • It includes a power switch, though I'm assuming it's not a safe shutdown switch
  • It's only $25
The benefits seem pretty amazing, including pulling audio directly from HDMI on a zero and having passthrough 5v power natively.
When are you expecting to get this? I'm starting to look at displays to find which one I want to order, and this one is intriguing. Would love to know how well it works out.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 am

Thanks for your time guys. Much appreciated. Guess i need to buy yet another screen. Yikes. Santa better turn up this year!

Mtuckey

Post by Mtuckey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 am

majestic wrote:Thanks for your time guys. Much appreciated. Guess i need to buy yet another screen. Yikes. Santa better turn up this year!
Hold up mate, I have the same board. I'm fairly sure it can be cut down. let me take a look at mine...
It can definitely run on 5v. but just be careful, my ribbon cable was only two thirds the width of the connector (top quality tech hey?), i plugged it back in wrong and blew the back-light driver circuitry.

Mtuckey

Post by Mtuckey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:52 am

Ok i had a look at my board. You could cut along the red line, to retain your screen settings buttons, you would need to run some wires to re-connect that one trace and the ground plane. The screen settings circuits the majority of these boards use is quite simple, they just involve grounding a pin on the main ic via a series of dropper resistors, each switch has a different value resistor across it.

On the rear of the board there are a couple of traces that you will see route the whole way around the outside, you could just run a jumper across the back of the board to re-connect those.

Failing all that, you could just save the screen and board, and use it in a GBA chassis. or try to use the slack in the ribbon cable to rotate the board 90 degrees.

Hope that helps. :)
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (758.09 KiB) Viewed 8478 times

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 am

Ate you able to show me pictures of the cut down and voltage change please?

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:52 am

Cant wait to try after work :) amazing help. Thanks :)

Zero

Post by Zero » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:57 am

@RogerX

The screens I've seen that look similar to the one you've found were 88mm wide which meant they wouldn't fit in a gameboy housing. Please let us know if yours fits though as that may be a good find.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:36 am

I dont know what ive done but i cannot get a picture from it after the cutdown. Also, cant remember which side to allign the ribbon cable. Id a oid this board if at all possible guys. Total nightmare :)