Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
solder

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by solder » Thu May 26, 2016 4:59 pm

fcn wrote: I'm just asking for clarification. Does this mean the actual control chip run on 3.3V? Why not completely bypass 5V and feed it 3.3V on the right point? Wouldn't this save some amps? I am not really knowledgeable in electronics, I'm just asking to learn.
^this

my screen runs on 3v3 :]
i still got to compare 3v3 and 5v performance ingame tho

foxy

Post by foxy » Fri May 27, 2016 12:05 pm

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.de/KFZ-R%C3%BCckfahr ... rds=BW3.5T

Seller: BW Corp
Shipping: Amazon

It's the same version Popcorn got.
Out of the box it's flickering below 5.3V.
After patching as Popcorn described, runs well with 3.3V or 5V.

_N0x

Post by _N0x » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

Hey Guys

After my first Screen broke I looked around for a new one. Fleder send me the link to a screen that only came me 18,50€. It said it had a resolution of 640 x 480 but (as I expected) it only has a resolution of 320 x 240.

The eBay link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/162064577483?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

But its a very nice none-glare-display:

The back:

After opening the screen I saw that the controller-board was very big

Without modifications it would not fit into the Gameboy-case

but I guess you can cut the sides down. They are only for mounting the screen in the original case.

And the best is it runs on 5v without any modification
(The picture quality is better than in that picture. The lighting in my room wasn't perfect for taking pictures... :roll: )

The buttons on the side are for brightness and picture orientation.

Here is a link to imgur where I uploaded some more pics: http://imgur.com/a/03foc
I don't even know how to solder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 1:06 am

_N0x wrote:Hey Guys

After my first Screen broke I looked around for a new one. Fleder send me the link to a screen that only came me 18,50€. It said it had a resolution of 640 x 480 but (as I expected) it only has a resolution of 320 x 240.
Oh man, i actually contacted the seller to make sure it really is 640x480 and he told me after 3 days for contacting his distributor that it indeed is 640x480. Sorry about that :( You may always return it and get your money back.

How did you make sure it only has a 320x240 Resolution?

_N0x

Post by _N0x » Mon May 30, 2016 1:30 am

Fleder wrote:Oh man, i actually contacted the seller to make sure it really is 640x480 and he told me after 3 days for contacting his distributor that it indeed is 640x480. Sorry about that :( You may always return it and get your money back.
Yea you told me about that. But no problam anyway. I allready thought the price was to low to be a real 640x480 Display ^^
Fleder wrote:How did you make sure it only has a 320x240 Resolution?
The spec sheet said it has a resolution of 320x240 and compared to the old one it looks the same.
Do you know any method to see the resolution. The WII i tested it with didn't let me choose the res...

But for only 18,50€ the display looks realy nice. And runs on 5V without any modifications. (Somehow only if I connect the white connector to the yellow and the yellow to the white :? )

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 2:29 am

_N0x wrote:The spec sheet said it has a resolution of 320x240 and compared to the old one it looks the same.
Do you know any method to see the resolution. The WII i tested it with didn't let me choose the res...
Would you try "xrandr --current" in the terminal?

_N0x

Post by _N0x » Mon May 30, 2016 3:27 am

Fleder wrote:Would you try "xrandr --current" in the terminal?
I'll try that when I'm home.

But I may have a problem you could maybe help me with...
I tested the screen on the Pi0 by just holding some wires to the py and to the white and yellow plug on the display. the picture seemed to have some... well... not really flickering but somekind of lines rolling over the screen. Is this because of the thin and long wires I used (maybe shielding?) or my Pi0 maybe brocken?

Maybe you know an answer :) I'll sollder some new wires to the screen and see if it will make any differences.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 3:36 am

_N0x wrote:But I may have a problem you could maybe help me with...
I tested the screen on the Pi0 by just holding some wires to the py and to the white and yellow plug on the display. the picture seemed to have some... well... not really flickering but somekind of lines rolling over the screen. Is this because of the thin and long wires I used (maybe shielding?) or my Pi0 maybe brocken?

Maybe you know an answer :) I'll sollder some new wires to the screen and see if it will make any differences.
This could be caused by several things.
The Wiring, the Power Source, Shielding, the Display itself, Something on the board of the display.
You could also try to use noise filters. Wermy wrote something about shielding a part of this build after having issues.
I can't recall what it was, but he said he used copper tape, i think. You could try the same and see if it changes anything.

_N0x

Post by _N0x » Mon May 30, 2016 3:51 am

Fleder wrote:Wermy wrote something about shielding a part of this build after having issues.
I can't recall what it was, but he said he used copper tape, i think. You could try the same and see if it changes anything.
I think he had problems with the SD-Card Wires. Maybe he talked about it in his first video. Or in his imgur build gallery. But thank you Fleder! I'll try to make some shielding when I get back home

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 3:58 am

_N0x wrote:I think he had problems with the SD-Card Wires. Maybe he talked about it in his first video. Or in his imgur build gallery. But thank you Fleder! I'll try to make some shielding when I get back home
Yes, that was the part. It was about the SD Card Reader.
I ordered the same display a while a go and it should arrive this week.
I will test and report back, if i encounter the same problems.