Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
User avatar
Xorxfon
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Xorxfon » Fri May 06, 2016 2:09 pm

The screen should work but isn't the touch functionality controlled on the GPIO pins?

User avatar
Jaysin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Jaysin » Fri May 06, 2016 2:34 pm

I should have checked this thread before opening a new one, sorry about that. I found a site that sells a 3.5 TFT display similar (possibly even the same) as the one from Adafruit and for less. The site is Gearbest.com and the item is here http://www.gearbest.com/development-boa ... 29447.html. I did read some bad reviews about the site's support (mostly issues with items being damaged or missing and support not offering decent solutions if the client didn't buy shipping insurance). I have a colleague at work who swears by these guys and just received a product today. I've already ordered one, so I'm waiting for it to come in. If you like I can post my thoughts and impressions once I get the device. Let me know.
Jay - The only 6"3', 280 LBS guy who's more afraid of others than they are of him

User avatar
HUg0005
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by HUg0005 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Just FYI:
I have ordered the screen from Us-vision on Amazon. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'll keep everyone posted. :)
What the price + postage to Australia?

User avatar
crispy_tofu
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:51 am
Location: Australia
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by crispy_tofu » Fri May 06, 2016 5:14 pm

HUg0005 wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:Just FYI:
I have ordered the screen from Us-vision on Amazon. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'll keep everyone posted. :)
What the price + postage to Australia?
USD 16.73 including shipping

User avatar
HUg0005
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by HUg0005 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:
HUg0005 wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:Just FYI:
I have ordered the screen from Us-vision on Amazon. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'll keep everyone posted. :)
What the price + postage to Australia?
USD 16.73 including shipping
$22.71 AUD is not bad!
Can you post a link to where you brought it?

User avatar
crispy_tofu
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:51 am
Location: Australia
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by crispy_tofu » Fri May 06, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm still not sure on it's quality as of yet as it hasn't arrived (could be a dud), but I got it from:
http://www.amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Monit ... ge_o00_s00
And select seller 'US-vision' on the right.

User avatar
HUg0005
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by HUg0005 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:30 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:I'm still not sure on it's quality as of yet as it hasn't arrived (could be a dud), but I got it from:
http://www.amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Monit ... ge_o00_s00
And select seller 'US-vision' on the right.
OK thanks. I'll wait until yours arrives.

User avatar
Camble
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 am
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Camble » Sun May 08, 2016 9:25 am

Jaysin wrote:I should have checked this thread before opening a new one, sorry about that. I found a site that sells a 3.5 TFT display similar (possibly even the same) as the one from Adafruit and for less. The site is Gearbest.com and the item is here http://www.gearbest.com/development-boa ... 29447.html. I did read some bad reviews about the site's support (mostly issues with items being damaged or missing and support not offering decent solutions if the client didn't buy shipping insurance). I have a colleague at work who swears by these guys and just received a product today. I've already ordered one, so I'm waiting for it to come in. If you like I can post my thoughts and impressions once I get the device. Let me know.
This looks very similar to the LCD I was going to order from aliexpress, but the board is much smaller. Looks like Gearbest ship to the UK for free as well so I'll be ordering this screen instead.

Thanks!

Misel
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Misel » Sun May 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Jaysin wrote:I should have checked this thread before opening a new one, sorry about that. I found a site that sells a 3.5 TFT display similar (possibly even the same) as the one from Adafruit and for less. The site is Gearbest.com and the item is here http://www.gearbest.com/development-boa ... 29447.html. I did read some bad reviews about the site's support (mostly issues with items being damaged or missing and support not offering decent solutions if the client didn't buy shipping insurance). I have a colleague at work who swears by these guys and just received a product today. I've already ordered one, so I'm waiting for it to come in. If you like I can post my thoughts and impressions once I get the device. Let me know.
According to the specs of this site this screen operates on 12V. So you will either have to hack the board to make it run on 5V or use a step-up circuit.

I have got 3 screens like this - but I salvaged them from car monitors for rear view cameras. I intend to use step-up converters like this to power them from a 5V line.

jpk806
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by jpk806 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:47 pm

PiTFT Plus 480x320 3.5" TFT+Touchscreen for Raspberry Pi - Pi 2 and Model A+ / B+
-Amazon.com
-Chicago Electronic Distributors
-Adafruit
-roughly: 3.125" wide (board), 2.0625" tall (board), 3.5" diagonal (screen)
-works on GPIO
-pics found here: http://sudomod.com/forums/topic/gameboy-pi-using-pi-2/
-Would not recommend for emulationstation use. Can't get the bloody thing working using the tut's for the other piTFTs and other specific tutorials seem to be work arounds with haphazard methods that yield shoddy results.
-smaller version should work flawlessly, presumably

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest