Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Fleder

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:42 am

joe7dust wrote:edit: Apparently I have no idea how spoiler tags work here. I googled and found the thread from when this feature was added to the forums and thought I used the same syntax as they did... Were you at least notified that you had been quoted with it nested inside a spoiler like this?
Do not use special characters in your Spoiler Name. (!)

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:43 am

joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:I bought this display that comes with lots of parts in it ready for use, even sound.. I'll test it the next days to see if I can get it fit inside the gameboy case.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/3-5-quot-TFT-LED- ... 3441815019

Thanks
Thanos
Good luck with this, it is the first one I have seen that claims to handle audio for less than $100. One that uses an actual hdmi connection and has a speaker or 2 in it and runs off 5v would be amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.
It actually runs from a 3.3v battery so I can use the same battery to power both this and the raspberry pi zero... I'll be testing it today. If all works, I'll make a thread about it. :)

Thanks
Thanos

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:50 am

tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:I bought this display that comes with lots of parts in it ready for use, even sound.. I'll test it the next days to see if I can get it fit inside the gameboy case.

Thanks
Thanos
Good luck with this, it is the first one I have seen that claims to handle audio for less than $100. One that uses an actual hdmi connection and has a speaker or 2 in it and runs off 5v would be amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.
It actually runs from a 3.3v battery so I can use the same battery to power both this and the raspberry pi zero... I'll be testing it today. If all works, I'll make a thread about it. :)

Thanks
Thanos
Now you are really start to speak my language. If I could run a screen and the pi off a 3.3v battery then I could drop a couple unnecessary parts from my build. Are you one of those guys running the pi straight off of 3.3v even though it supposedly doesn't work? (there's a thread on raspberrypi.org where some guys are running their pi zeros off 3.3v and even lower to save power)

I wonder what would happen if I just tried to run it straight off a cellphone battery that has 4.4v (full) and 3.7v (low) ?

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:55 am

joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:

Thanks
Thanos
Now you are really start to speak my language. If I could run a screen and the pi off a 3.3v battery then I could drop a couple unnecessary parts from my build. Are you one of those guys running the pi straight off of 3.3v even though it supposedly doesn't work? (there's a thread on raspberrypi.org where some guys are running their pi zeros off 3.3v and even lower to save power)

I wonder what would happen if I just tried to run it straight off a cellphone battery that has 4.4v (full) and 3.7v (low) ?
I'll try to find a 5v to tap supply for the RPI zero from the screen, to save placing second booster if I can. But that is not bad idea to run the RPI zero from 3.3v directly. I'll look into it.

Thanks
Thanos

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:02 am

tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:

Thanks
Thanos

I'll try to find a 5v to tap supply for the RPI zero from the screen, to save placing second booster if I can. But that is not bad idea to run the RPI zero from 3.3v directly. I'll look into it.

Thanks
Thanos
This thread has all the info on it. On the 2nd page I asked for proof since a mod/veteran flatly told me running it off 3.3-3.7v was not possible. He recanted that statement after seeing this thread. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=127210

drlbradley

Post by drlbradley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 am

Just reporting that I got the BW screen from a seller on Amazon (UK), tried it on 3.3v without a mod and it struggled to provide a clean image. Now runs much better after putting in a Polulo 12v step-up from my diy power-distribution board.

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:36 am

Did I mention that it already includes booster to 12v to power the screen? :)

I have to crack this open today, I hope it's controller board is not too bulky.

Thanks
Thanos

yves1984

Post by yves1984 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:14 am

hi there.
my board has not a whit cabel will be that a problem?
i have only the yello (video) 2black (ground) and a red one how ill be the 5-12V.

It is the Display from alibaba how will work with 5V but don't try or test at this moment :D

thx for help for my wiring

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:30 am

joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:

Thanks
Thanos
This thread has all the info on it. On the 2nd page I asked for proof since a mod/veteran flatly told me running it off 3.3-3.7v was not possible. He recanted that statement after seeing this thread. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=127210

I cracked it open the portable LCD ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/291709734092 ). It has regulated 3.3v, 5.2v and 12v output on certain points on the board. Its a little bulky but it seems that its going to fit fine in the Gameboy case with no trimming with the connectors, switch and buttons of the LCD nicely reach the edge to have access to them. And yes, there is a small speaker in there!! ;)
IMG_20160610_060933.jpg
IMG_20160610_060933.jpg (440.75 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
IMG_20160610_060844.jpg
IMG_20160610_060844.jpg (507.97 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
IMG_20160610_060739.jpg
IMG_20160610_060739.jpg (385.66 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
IMG_20160610_060636.jpg
IMG_20160610_060636.jpg (332.94 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
Thanks
Thanos

yves1984

Post by yves1984 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:21 am

Popcorn wrote:
yves1984 wrote:did somone know this display?
i buy it at alibaba (https://xjlcm.en.alibaba.com/product/20 ... 6.8.2Zhq5p)
but its a different board that i will receive.
And the problem is that i can't test it at the moment because my Pi0 is not here yet :(
does it work without any wiring or must i do something on the board ;)?

Look familiar? This board works great out of the box. No mods needed. Just plug it in.

My display won't work. Has just a black screen :(
now i saw that u have just little thing different to my board.
but bevor i desolder one of the part has someone a idea what must i do ;)?