Custom Kitsch Bent zero case

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
iSP

Custom Kitsch Bent zero case

Post by iSP » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:52 am

Hi all!

In my search for hardware I stumbled upon a bit of a problem which started out as I couldn't find the colour case I was looking. First I haven't got that much time for side projects right now and would still like to make 2 for both me and my brother as a present. Tools; I don't have a bench drill to drill the X/Y button holes properly and I have to improve on my 20 years old high school learned solder skills. I've looked into the idea a 3D printed custom case and make the STL open source but they just don't give the quality I'm looking for and cases are cheap anyways and a good blank canvas for most people.

While researching I found the nice custom case at Kitsch Bent (http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-dmg-case) and it looked like a good candidate to start from. On a side note I like the more younger looking speaker grill as found on the later pocket gameboy and gameboy color. Anyways I've spoken to the owner Matt by mail and he told he is already looking into it but with no ETA. According to him it would help if more people requested a zero case so he has a rough idea of the actual demand. Matt is an avid reader over here apparently so he will find this thread for sure. What I wanted to do with this thread is give some suggestions on how it would need to look like, I've already given him some input with my take on this but I think the end result should be a community driven. Especially since there's a wide range of used hardware from AIO boards to 100% home made from basic parts.

Here's some of the ideas I came up with, and I think this is also a good point to start the discussion from;

The top case
  1. 1A. 2 Extra pre drilled button holes with supports on the back. This is a mod pretty much everyone does anyways.

2A. Make the border 2mm in accordance with the new screen

3A. Remove the studs near the display as these are in the way of larger screens.

4A. Remove the contrast cutout from the top case as it's not used anymore, more on that @4B. this would also give more space for the larger screens as fitting parts near the screen is a bit fiddly.
This with the new speaker style grill would make for one nice modern looking gameboy case. Mind you for me it's the form factor that actually does rather than the authentic looks. It's reminiscent of the gameboy I had in my youth and yet gives a modern look to it.

Back case
  • 1B. Make the cutout for the external port a bit bigger to accommodate for usb and maybe add a support to glue it directly onto? Pretty much everyone likes the USB connector here. The space on the left and right directly from the cartridge slot is a bit underused in the builds I've seen so far anyways.

2B. Pretty much the same as 1B but for the volume button, unlike the builds from Wermy I still think this is the more logical place.

3B. The same as 1B/2B basically but a micro/mini USB connector on the other side for charging? Maybe USB-C so the orientation doesn't matter? I actually also don't mind the old power adapter socket connector.

4B. Maybe also applies to 3B for choice, but why not make a module option that can be slided in at the place where on the top case the contrast button was. If you don't use it you could use the provided blank, if you use hdmi another module could be slided into place, or maybe even a 2nd external USB? who knows. 3D custom modules are also easily printed.

5B. Add shoulder buttons to make it perfect. What style is a bit hard to get my head around now, but I know they would need to be fairly close to the battery compartment as can be seen from this picture: http://s87.photobucket.com/user/adrktem ... w.jpg.html (I can't right away find who to credit for this one so let me know!). If it's too high it interferes with the cartridge reader and my fingers rest more close to the battery compartment as well. But since everyone likes their buttons differently and in another position this can be a bit hard to get consensus over.
Also a note on the general shape of the case: I think it looks (and feels?) too "bricky", I'd say bring back the chamfered edges on the back and maybe even the rounded corner (and a round speaker grill would look nice then!).

So what would you say? this case isn't for everyone but it could get more people into building a Gameboy Zero.
Why not give Matt a helping hand?

ontoptherock

Re: Custom Kitsch Bent zero case

Post by ontoptherock » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

i love the idea. I mean i already bought two replacement dmg cases but i am sure i will be wanting to do a third build at some point and a case that i can plug and play everything in would be really nice.

Essentially i would scoop one of these up right now if it were for sale.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 pm

I didn't know matt was looking into it. If I knew I would have begged him for 4 black shells.

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:49 am

I'm surprised a custom Gameboy Zero Case hasn't already been made with the custom PCB's already out there.

I'm planning on using the Kitsch Bent two button breakout board on the back of my Gameboy for the L+R buttons. But I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure it. Need to 3D print a bracket I think so that I can screw the plate into it. Would be much easier if someone already did the work for me. :D
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

jothie

Post by jothie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:47 pm

I'd buy one. Dremmeling the case is stressful and leaves no room for error. I'd love a premade case.

Brag0n

Post by Brag0n » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 am

I would be really interested in this as well!
As mentioned by other users here, drilling the case is quite stressful!
I even planned on buying a lot of machines/tools just for this build, but if I can avoid that, that would be amazing!

I do have some requirements though:

1. Kite's all-in-one pcb setup would have to fit.
Actually that is my main requirement, and I think it would be a wise solution to have a chat with him. A collaboration would surely turn out great!.. You should talk to Helder as well.. (for those who want to do a different setup/build)

2. While I see a lot of variables out there (with different screens and what not), I would really like it tuned in on a standard screen to use.
(which might be one of the bigger problems) Preferably a 640x480 screen.

3. I REALLY hate the thought of having to glue all the stuff within the GMZ-build togheter.. If you can come up with a bunch of parts that can fit different scenarios(parts) within the case, this would be awesome.

Maybe that even could solve requirement nr 2..

4. Do a standard button setup. ABXY button holes and 2 holes for shoulder buttons.
What kind of shoulder buttons to fix for the mold I've got no idea, The cleaner/sleeker.. the better!
If you do any special kind though, i would like to have the buttons to added with the case purchase.

Now, I know that i mentioned Kite's pcb, and he has additional solutions for buttons/sticks and stuff.. but leave those extra options for those who want to mod it.

Finally,
I really do love the classic GMZ-01 shape, and i would love to see this fixed for that mold..
When that's said, I can also understand that there are some issues and problems that might encourage another updated shape.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 am

Nothing prevents you from making modifications to the custom case to fit your wants and needs too...

iSP

Post by iSP » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Right... I couldn't sleep cause my mind was going all places except sleep.
Anyways I may have come up with a real nice solution to free up more space, eventually I will provide a drawing but I'll be gone for a week starting tomorrow for a business trip to the other side of the country.

Anyways image this; rotate the batteries 90 degrees... just like the gameboy color.
Also we only need 3 since we can use 3x 1.2V to make 3,6V for the Powerboost 1000c!
We could use the Panasonic BK-3HCCE NiMH batteries to get 3x2550 mAh (7650 mAh @ 3,6V or 5508 @ 5,0V).
How those mathematics work look up batteries in series, it's simple addition.
Kitsch Bent already stocks these nice battery contacts too that can be used; http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/battery-contacts
And if you don't want to go that way you can still add battery packs with a JST connector.

But this way will save up 1,5 x 1,5 x 5,1 cm (size of a AA battery) on top!
You will gain enough space in order to fit 2 or even 4 shoulder buttons there.
The only downside would be the battery cover; it wouldn't be the same size as the original gameboy anymore but we were going with a custom job anyways.
With the additional space we could even fit the Powerboost module itself there!

Am I crazy or does this makes sense to you? I think it makes a lot of sense and solves a really big hurdle.

MiL0

Post by MiL0 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:18 am

I would definitely buy a case but it should support kites PCB ideally. Rather than removing the screw posts at the top, can we move them further to the sides instead? (Is there room?) For the shoulder buttons, my preference would be to use standard Gameboy buttons on the back - I'm not too fussed on location as long as the mounting posts are set properly so the buttons feel good when pressed. I'd probably pay up to $40 for a case like this.

iSP

Post by iSP » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 am

Well it might not support Kites' PCB, it's a true AIO that focusses heavily on the internals of the original gameboy.
If it were up to me I'd do some changes to make it more flexible, in fact if I had more time right now I'd start with CAD drawings so we could even source it some place if Kitsch Bent takes ages or we don't like the design.
But if it's more flexible it also means the AIO board won't fit without further modding.
Also it's nice to have a choice in parts, as much as I like "AIO" boards it takes away a bit of looking for the ones you like, and also upgradability and plain tinkering around with the parts which is a huge part of the bobby.

An example why I'm against true AIO;
The screens we source may not be around forever, especially with those 640x480 ones which the Chinese rip out of current appliances.
If a certain screen is sold out it's sold out and the next one might require a totally different controller rendering the PCB maybe even or near useless. Maybe we get raspi's with different connections or support for OLED screens which make a great upgrade... who knows.

If just 3D printers were better... we could do an open source .STL and everyone could just share their mods and have it 3D printed at the place of their choise. After some sanding it can be nice but for a nice finish some paint is still recommended. Possibly there's always modding involved unless you get very specific hardware.