GBZ35 & GBZ35-Dark RetroPie Themes for Small Screens

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
VeteranGamer

Re: Custom ES Theme for 3.5" GBZ Screens

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 am

zeroboy wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm
144TECH wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm
zeroboy wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 am
I tried both dark and light version but text are a little rugged and some red/yellow color on the edges. Im using it on a screen in 24bit or 18bit DPI mode.
That's a 320 composite screen right? try a 640 screen and it won't have issues.

@ YaYa ,
got it right here without any update, even with a very old version.
hope it works for you guys :mrgreen:
320x240 in DPI mode not composite.

Ok i have updated retropie but still the same no matter what power saving option i chose. Also, many game roms are now not being recognized by ES.

are you sure its not a refresh rate issue.... i had a similar thing happen when i was doing my DIY mintyPi build with the spi screen....

which screen are you using (you mind sharing)

tinkerBOY

Re: GBZ35 & GBZ35-Dark RetroPie Themes for Small Screens

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am

Im using a 3.5" lcd screen LQ035NC111. I think it's the same screen used by kite. Well im not sure if it's a refresh rate issue.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 am

zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am
Im using a 3.5" lcd screen LQ035NC111. I think it's the same screen used by kite. Well im not sure if it's a refresh rate issue.

how have you got it wired up.... (any chance of a look)

the screen that kite uses is the way forward (also if i mange to find an easy solution to the HDMI screen, that as well)

i'm surprised no one has come up with an attachable board for the dpi screen (a bit similar to what Helder did with the 2.4" in the mintyPi)
the dpi screen kite uses is alot crisper than the fuzzy composite screens everyone seems to be still using...

if there was an attachable board (which i think shouldnt be that difficult) it will soon become the screen of choice....

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 am
zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am

how have you got it wired up.... (any chance of a look)

the screen that kite uses is the way forward (also if i mange to find an easy solution to the HDMI screen, that as well)

i'm surprised no one has come up with an attachable board for the dpi screen (a bit similar to what Helder did with the 2.4" in the mintyPi)
the dpi screen kite uses is alot crisper than the fuzzy composite screens everyone seems to be still using...

if there was an attachable board (which i think shouldnt be that difficult) it will soon become the screen of choice....

and also, this topic may not be the best place to get some help.... its RxBrad theme topic, your issue is with the screen
Yes this is the reason why I'm so curious to learn about this DPI mode on the rapsberry pi. I have tested it and i think it's the way to go. I know it uses a lot of gpio pins but we can always use the usb for other purposes like audio and controls. I've no experience on creating or designing PCBs but i think the backlight driver for this screen is easy to learn.

You can see how im wiring it at http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 780#p41308. It's in 24-bit mode using 28 pins.

The 480x320 kedei hdmi screen is noticeably clearer and detailed(especially on text) though compared to the 320x240 lcd in DPI mode. Obviously because of the higher resolution and HDMI?. But it LAGS while the dpi screen is smooth. I prefer the dpi screen. Just imagine a 640x240 screen on dpi mode. It will surely blow the hdmi screen out. :)

I was actually almost finished with my kedei hdmi build and was very excited but while i was trimming the board edges it slipped and broke the ribbon cable. 🙁So stupid of me. I just ordered another one and have to wait another 30 days. I have an extra hdmi screen with menu controls but has different dimensions and contruction.
Last edited by tinkerBOY on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44 am

zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 am

I was actually almost finished with my kedei hdmi build and was very excited but while i was trimming the board edges it slipped and broke the ribbon cable. 🙁So stupid of me. I just ordered another one and have to wait another 30 days.
thats tragic :( ........

i personnaly never experienced any lag with the HDMI screen, that might be due to the way you have it connected...

i've tested several different cable/connection options and not really seen any lag, but i'm not really playing anything over 16bit consoles (that might be why)

i've got my hdmi adapter on way soon, that might make the hdmi screen alot more usable (the same way 1UP is using them in all his builds)

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44 am
zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 am

I was actually almost finished with my kedei hdmi build and was very excited but while i was trimming the board edges it slipped and broke the ribbon cable. 🙁So stupid of me. I just ordered another one and have to wait another 30 days.
thats tragic :( ........

i personnaly never experienced any lag with the HDMI screen, that might be due to the way you have it connected...

i've tested several different cable/connection options and not really seen any lag, but i'm not really playing anything over 16bit consoles (that might be why)

i've got my hdmi adapter on way soon, that might make the hdmi screen alot more usable (the same way 1UP is using them in all his builds)

I'm using a short hdmi cable i bought on aliexpress. Very cheap. I hope that's the reason for the lag. I have stripped the cable and found that it's only using 15 wires but i doubt its what causing it to lag? But using the same cable on my hdmi monitor is perfectly fine.
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 12368 times
I've tested only on playing nes, snes and gba games.

I'm curious to know why yours doesn't lag while mine does. I think we are using the same kedei screen like this?
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 12362 times

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 am

zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 am

I'm using a short hdmi cable i bought on aliexpress. Very cheap. I hope that's the reason for the lag. I have stripped the cable and found that it's only using 15 wires but i doubt its what causing it to lag? But using the same cable on my hdmi monitor is perfectly fine.

I've tested only on playing nes, snes and gba games.
the 15 wires isnt the issue, the adapter i had made doesnt use all the connections either (that had to be done for it to fit on a small pcb)

i've also tried a similar cable, and didnt experience any lag....

also why have you got a jumper from the switch....
i've just got it wired up from the switch (positive) to powerstrip (usb for negative)

have you adjusted anything in the config.txt

NB: RxBrad might not like that we're talking off topic.....

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 am

I have the same lag before or after any modification. The 5v input on this board is directly connected to the sofware side of the board which turns on automatically when you connect a power. Backlight side of the board is with a switch to power on. Since i trimmed the board near the ribbon where the connection to the soft side of the board somehow i need to reconnect it to the 5v line.

My hdmi settings:

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=1
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=480 320 60 6 0 0 0
Sorry for the offtopic.

By the way, gbz35-dark looks great on the hdmi screen!👍

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 am

zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 am
I noticed over in the Kite AIO thread that the artifacting you saw apparently happened only on centered text using a GPI display. HDMI is apparently fine.

I don't have a solution (besides scraping data on your ROMs so you see the detailed/video view which doesn't use centered text). Just noting that it was unusual, and copying the info to this thread in case anyone else runs into it. 8-)

(And I agree.. a breakout board for the GPI displays would be pretty sweet...)
Image Image

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am

RxBrad wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 am
zeroboy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 am
I noticed over in the Kite AIO thread that the artifacting you saw apparently happened only on centered text using a GPI display. HDMI is apparently fine.

I don't have a solution (besides scraping data on your ROMs so you see the detailed/video view which doesn't use centered text). Just noting that it was unusual, and copying the info to this thread in case anyone else runs into it. 8-)

(And I agree.. a breakout board for the GPI displays would be pretty sweet...)
Yes it happens when centered or right aligned. But text are fine when left aligned. I'm trying to make an adapter for the dpi screen so i can test further. Im still learning Eagle though. :)