Adhesive

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
triticus

Adhesive

Post by triticus » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 am

I see a lot of hot glue being shot into GBZ and other similar builds. I've also seen a few comments suggesting hot glue is not really a good idea for electronic applications. Either it comes into contact with something that might melt it and cause components to shift, or it doesn't last for more than six months or a year.

Obviously you can be judicious about how you apply the glue, keeping it away from elements that would heat up to it's melting point. The longevity issue is a larger concern. Don't want components coming loose.

I've seen silicone rubber cement suggested as the primary adhesive. With hot glue being used to tack a component into place while the silicone rubber cures. Don't know much about that stuff, but I assume it's more permanent that hot glue. So pulling a GBZ apart to rework it, would be tougher.

Are the claims that hot glue isn't great for GBZ builds true? Does it have a longevity issue? Thanks!

RxBrad

Re: Adhesive

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:54 am

The BW version #7 screen I used in my build gets really hot after an hour or so. I don't have a ton of confidence that hot glue will stand up long against it. I feel like my GBZ shell is already loosening its grip along the top edge from the hot glue bond breaking down around the screen and screw bracket.

On build #2, I'm planning on securing the screen to the shell with something like GOOP adhesive. I already use this to attach the button wells, and it's crazy-sturdy.

The Powerboost while simultaneously charging & playing also gets really hot. However, I've seen mentions that GOOP is corrosive to PCBs (and may even be conductive), so I'd maybe consider something else to keep it secure.
Image Image

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:28 am

I would just be judicious around the screen and especially the powerboost.

triticus

Post by triticus » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:33 am

Is there a particular hot glue that might be better than the rest? I'm not seeing much obvious variation in a quick Amazon search.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 am

There is a high temp and a low temp.
Builder and tinkerer