Modify screen board for 5v

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jpayne30

Re: Modify screen board for 5v

Post by Jpayne30 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:06 pm

I finally got the regulator chip off and then tried to solder to the 5v pad on the back and apparently melted to pad off. Did I ruin any hopes of using this board?

Psy128

Post by Psy128 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:52 am

Jpayne30 wrote:I finally got the regulator chip off and then tried to solder to the 5v pad on the back and apparently melted to pad off. Did I ruin any hopes of using this board?

How hot did you have the soldering iron on. Don't worry I think there's two way round you can hopefully scratch off the area just before the pad and solder to that which will be abit hard to do or the pad is linked to one of the pinouts on the regulator I think it's pin 2 I can't remember it was a long time since I tested the board. But you can solder to that instead which by the sounds of it that's what i would Do in this case. The only reason I use the pad on the back was it was easier to do. It's the same pin out as before.
Hopefully you not damaged anything else please let me know how u get on and keep the temperature low.

Psy128

Post by Psy128 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:04 pm

From memory it's one of these pins going to the input 5v I can't be sure which pin cuz I can't find any good pictures from before this.
Attachments
Screenshot_20161010-203828.png
Screenshot_20161010-203828.png (2.75 MiB) Viewed 7108 times

Jpayne30

Post by Jpayne30 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Thank you a billion times over.. Screen is in working order. For anyone else wondering it was the second pin from the tip on the right side where he circled. Thank you Soooooo much

chaosratt

Post by chaosratt » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I've been putting some time into the wiki for these kinds of things.
For future reference, this information was already on the wiki for V7 boards:

http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... #Variant_7

triticus

Post by triticus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm

How did you get the chip off? I'm trying to desolder mine and it's not budging. It doesn't help that none of my tools seem to be able to grab a hold of the damn thing so I can pull on it...

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 pm

triticus wrote:How did you get the chip off? I'm trying to desolder mine and it's not budging. It doesn't help that none of my tools seem to be able to grab a hold of the damn thing so I can pull on it...
You do not need to remove the chip. Just solder a jumper wire from the points illustrated in the wiki.

triticus

Post by triticus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:21 pm

KaiKona808 wrote:
triticus wrote:How did you get the chip off? I'm trying to desolder mine and it's not budging. It doesn't help that none of my tools seem to be able to grab a hold of the damn thing so I can pull on it...
You do not need to remove the chip. Just solder a jumper wire from the points illustrated in the wiki.
I managed to get the chip off, the wiki shows it removed. I'll try to wire this up, but the board is a mess around where the chip was. In getting it off I knocked two of those copper coil things off their footing. Looks like it's just the glue attached to the board I messed up, so I'm going to try and reattach with some super glue. Is there any risk in hooking my potentially mangled board up to my pi to test the screen? Will it just not work if I've damages something or is there a chance I'll damage the pi?