Shell Separating - Screw Bracket Likely Stripped

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RxBrad

Shell Separating - Screw Bracket Likely Stripped

Post by RxBrad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 am

My first GBZ is done, using wermy's first guide and a BW7 screen. Getting everything to fit inside the shell was a challenge, and things are REALLY tightly squeezed in where the Pi is located. Unfortunately, this has caused the screw that goes into wermy's screw bracket on that side to slowly work its way out, so that corner of the shell keeps coming open slightly. I re-tightened it once, but it worked its way open again.

Any suggestions to fix the threads in the 3D printed bracket? Or do I need to buck up and buy another one (and possibly rearrange stuff so it fits together better)?
Image Image

$3ck

Re: Shell Separating - Screw Bracket Likely Stripped

Post by $3ck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:25 pm

You might be able to put some glue on the screw or wrap a little peace of thin paper around the first bit of it before you put the screw in.
The paper is going to make it a little tighter so don't put too much in there. The glue will work like locktite if you use the right one otherwise you won't be able to open your case again ;)

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 am

I was thinking that eventually mine would strip. My idea was that if that happened, I was going to put a tiny dab of hot glue in it and take a toothpick to get the glue inside the hole. Then trim off any excess. Then the idea is that the glue, although wasn't glued to the screw, would create the grip for the screw that that the case could easily be opened and closed.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm

I think you Americans have a product called 'SuGru' that might be worth a try. :?: Before it's fully hardened you could screw into the stuff and it should hold in place pretty well.

Spykerwolf

Post by Spykerwolf » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having the exact same issue lol

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm

Not particularly. In fact, that particular GBZ ended up having the screen get ruined from the stress of trying to keep the shell closed.

I had better luck with one of the kits from Pocket Adventures. Stuff just seemed to fit together a little better (likely because they use brackets that don't rely on the screen itself to provide structural support to hold the shell together).
Image Image