(Help) Screen flicker with colors missing.

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jpayne30

(Help) Screen flicker with colors missing.

Post by Jpayne30 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:10 am

So last night I finally got my GBZ in form to begin trying to get it closed and on my final test before screwing it together the screen went all haywire. In the boot screen I noticed the Retro Pie logo was blue instead of Red and then once I got the the emulation station screen the screen started getting pixelated flicker and the picture would fade out but slowly. Sometimes it would still vaguely be visible. The screen would never shut off it would just be fading to a completely white background. I am at a complete lost as to what the problem could be as this wasn't an issue during any of the steps in the build/testing process getting to this point. I've looked over my solder points and nothing appears to be loose or shorted, I'm stumped.. Any ideas?

Zero

Re: (Help) Screen flicker with colors missing.

Post by Zero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:44 am

Sounds like a power issue, probably not getting enough juice.

Jpayne30

Post by Jpayne30 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Zero wrote:Sounds like a power issue, probably not getting enough juice.
I will try hooking the screen to a separate power supply tonight. How many amps should be required? I have it all connected to a 5v 2.4a power supply

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Did you have it hooked up directly to the pi? You can't have too much plugged in via the pi as it can struggle that way. Which screen do you have? Maybe you need to do a voltage mod.

I think most these composite screens running at 5v use roughly 500ma or so.

Jpayne30

Post by Jpayne30 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Zero wrote:Did you have it hooked up directly to the pi? You can't have too much plugged in via the pi as it can struggle that way. Which screen do you have? Maybe you need to do a voltage mod.

I think most these composite screens running at 5v use roughly 500ma or so.
I have a power strip made in the same style as wermy did in his guide connected to the Powerboost and then split out separately to the hub, pi, screen and audio amplifier. I have v7 backup camera and it has been modified to 5v even though the wiki says it isn't necessary. But it tested fine. Didn't have any issue with it until I tried closing it and running it all off 1 power supply :?

chaosratt

Post by chaosratt » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Please check here and see if your screen requires a 5v mod:
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=GBZ_Screen

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:43 pm

I would also recommend trying a different power supply. Some lower end supplies will not keep 5v once the system starts to draw power. I had a similar issue when I began my build a while back. I was using a good power supply and had no issues. Mid build I grabbed a different power supply and my screen did the same as yours. Could not for the life of me figure it out. By odd chance I switched back to the old supply and no issue. So I tested the two and sure enough the culprit one would dip to 4.7v or lower the more things I had connected to the power strip.

Jpayne30

Post by Jpayne30 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 pm

KaiKona808 wrote:I would also recommend trying a different power supply. Some lower end supplies will not keep 5v once the system starts to draw power. I had a similar issue when I began my build a while back. I was using a good power supply and had no issues. Mid build I grabbed a different power supply and my screen did the same as yours. Could not for the life of me figure it out. By odd chance I switched back to the old supply and no issue. So I tested the two and sure enough the culprit one would dip to 4.7v or lower the more things I had connected to the power strip.
Sure fire fix.. Screen works perfectly now. But suddenly my controls stopped working.. Not responding to the gamepad, not responding to the USB ports. Even tried a fresh flash of Retropie... This is a terrible marry go round of troubleshooting lol

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 am

Jpayne30 wrote: Sure fire fix.. Screen works perfectly now. But suddenly my controls stopped working.. Not responding to the gamepad, not responding to the USB ports. Even tried a fresh flash of Retropie... This is a terrible marry go round of troubleshooting lol
Glad the screen problem got fixed. Yeah sometimes during the build it feels like 1 step forward and then two steps back. What PCB are you using for the controls?

Jpayne30

Post by Jpayne30 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:28 am

KaiKona808 wrote:
Glad the screen problem got fixed. Yeah sometimes during the build it feels like 1 step forward and then two steps back. What PCB are you using for the controls?
I ended up using this one from kitsch-bent http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/co ... -y-version