A new screen, any tips on 5v conversion?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
mike_louisxvi

Re: A new screen, any tips on 5v conversion?

Post by mike_louisxvi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:23 am

fcib wrote:Not sure if the yellow and white cable are for the yellow and white wire, but you only need one when soldering to the pi.

It might be switching between av1/av2 constantly? Try just using one.

As in just unplug one, or desolder? Not sure it matters. I'll try this later, thank you!

fcib

Post by fcib » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:29 am

Well I cut the composite plugs off right away and tested with my pi.

You only need the yellow OR white wire when it's soldered.

If both composite plugs are used (and assuming they each match one of the wires) then you have both channels plugged in at once.

edit: you thanked my post :) did it solve the problem?

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:16 am

fcib wrote:Well I cut the composite plugs off right away and tested with my pi.

If both composite plugs are used (and assuming they each match one of the wires) then you have both channels plugged in at once.

Not exactly yet, but this may be onto something. It makes sense since the screen flickers so slowly, as if it is changing aux channels.

I plugged it all in and noticed that the white doesn't do anything. When the yellow is plugged in, I get the flicker, so it's definitely using only the yellow cable. That narrows it, but I still can't get it stable.

When I was going to turn it all off, I noticed that the soldering on the other cables was really weak, and they actually came off when I grazed over them to check them out. Perhaps the flicker is from weak connections?

It's 1am where I'm at, so I'll re solder the connections when I get up and update. Thanks for sticking with me to solve this! Sorry your screen isn't working :/

fcib

Post by fcib » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:28 am

mike_louisxvi wrote:
fcib wrote:Well I cut the composite plugs off right away and tested with my pi.

Not exactly yet, but this may be onto something. It makes sense since the screen flickers so slowly, as if it is changing aux channels.

I plugged it all in and noticed that the white doesn't do anything. When the yellow is plugged in, I get the flicker, so it's definitely using only the yellow cable. That narrows it, but I still can't get it stable.

When I was going to turn it all off, I noticed that the soldering on the other cables was really weak, and they actually came off when I grazed over them to check them out. Perhaps the flicker is from weak connections?

It's 1am where I'm at, so I'll re solder the connections when I get up and update. Thanks for sticking with me to solve this! Sorry your screen isn't working :/
No worries. Got a new one coming with a common PCB. Should arrive tomorrow if estimated shipping time doesn't screw me over and make me wait a weekend.

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I finally got it to work without flickering. Thanks to user TimBer, I found out that instead of using a jumper wire, wiring the red line directly to the 5v regulator was the way to go. Just wanted to update for closure and in case you ever come across this screen again ;P

Thank you for your initial interest and help with this screen!

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 am

Guys I have the same screen
Attachments
IMG_9476.JPG
IMG_9476.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 7401 times
IMG_9475.JPG
IMG_9475.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 7401 times

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 am

It does t work there is power to the screen but no video

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Take off either the white wire or the yellow one, but make sure at least one stays on. For me, only the yellow wire works. If they are both soldered like you have it here, it won't work because it doesn't know what AV channel you want to be on (if memory serves correctly).

Also, as mentioned earlier, try taking out that jumper wire and soldering the red wire from the cord directly onto the pad. The jumper wire I used was screwing me up too I think.

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Thi la is what you mean ? I'm still not getting anything
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 7391 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 7391 times

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Brandonmel wrote:Thi la is what you mean ? I'm still not getting anything

Not quite

You can have a look at this thread: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=430

Scroll down to the second post (mine, check the username) if you want to see what I mean.

Basically you have to take the red wire running from the cable and solder it onto the regulator leg as shown there. Mine didnt come with the buttons like yours seems to have, but I don't think (or know, really) if that would have anything to do with your issues.