USB File transfer with Helder's AIO *Update* No USB.

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
WoodMill

Re: USB File transfer with Helder's AIO *Update* No USB.

Post by WoodMill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Driving me nuts! I was for certain there has to be a short with the USB somewhere, it still said no gamepad connected. So I desoldered everything except for the essentials on the AIO. Basicly, power and the usb connection to the RPi. Still no gamepad connected. At this point I was for certain that the AIO USB had gone bad. So I plugged a gamepad in directly to the Rpi, and still no gamepad connected.

WTH! Did the usb on the RPi get fried? Can it do that, and still power on like normal without any errors?

I was thinking this was going to be the ultimate bullet-proof GBZ, but sheesh, it's a lemon. :)
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 am

WoodMill wrote:Driving me nuts! I was for certain there has to be a short with the USB somewhere, it still said no gamepad connected. So I desoldered everything except for the essentials on the AIO. Basicly, power and the usb connection to the RPi. Still no gamepad connected. At this point I was for certain that the AIO USB had gone bad. So I plugged a gamepad in directly to the Rpi, and still no gamepad connected.

WTH! Did the usb on the RPi get fried? Can it do that, and still power on like normal without any errors?

I was thinking this was going to be the ultimate bullet-proof GBZ, but sheesh, it's a lemon. :)
Post some photos of the pi usb solder pads so we can see. Also test the AIO on a pc, it should be detected as a usb hub and Arduino Game Pad if everything is good.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:45 am

Have you tried reflashing your image of retropie? I did not see you post that anywhere. I had a similar issue with the AIO eventually not being recognized by retropie after a bunch of testing, but my pc would identify it fine.

I reloaded a back-up image of my SD card that I saved when the AIO was working and sure enough the AIO was recognized again.

Tip: during testing be sure to make constant back-ups of you SD card image. It sucks to get far in your build and customizing retropie only to have the image or SD card go corrupt. It can happen.

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:32 am

KaiKona808 wrote:Have you tried reflashing your image of retropie? I did not see you post that anywhere. I had a similar issue with the AIO eventually not being recognized by retropie after a bunch of testing, but my pc would identify it fine.

I reloaded a back-up image of my SD card that I saved when the AIO was working and sure enough the AIO was recognized again.

Tip: during testing be sure to make constant back-ups of you SD card image. It sucks to get far in your build and customizing retropie only to have the image or SD card go corrupt. It can happen.
I did re-flash the card a few times earlier on when i was trying to figure out what the issue was with the PRS card. I was sorta having sporadic USB problems at that time as well. But haven't flashed it since I nailed down what was wrong with the PRS Card. But I did pull out the SD card from my previous GBZ which had no issues, and it still couldn't see a gamepad connected to my new one.

So will try connecting the AIO to the PC tonight. I think I may have a spare USB plug somewhere to solder to. But am almost for certain that the Pi is somehow screwed up since it could not detect a gamepad directly plugged into the Pi.

This is a general image I took after I completed the build. If you can't see something specific, I'll post a better photo of it tonight. Since this photo, I have gone over every solder point to make sure it was making good contact, or wasn't bridged between another point. So if you have a question about that with this photo, it's been most likely fixed. The D+ D- pads on the Pi seemed pretty close, so I cleaned those up.
15042233_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_o.jpg
15042233_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_o.jpg (185.83 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
Attachments
15078773_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_n.jpg
old
15078773_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_n.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 8165 times

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 am

WoodMill wrote: I did re-flash the card a few times earlier on when i was trying to figure out what the issue was with the PRS card. I was sorta having sporadic USB problems at that time as well. But haven't flashed it since I nailed down what was wrong with the PRS Card. But I did pull out the SD card from my previous GBZ which had no issues, and it still couldn't see a gamepad connected to my new one.

So will try connecting the AIO to the PC tonight. I think I may have a spare USB plug somewhere to solder to. But am almost for certain that the Pi is somehow screwed up since it could not detect a gamepad directly plugged into the Pi.
Definitely chasing a gremlin here. You mentioned you cleaned up the soldering on the D+ and D- pads so those are not bridged. Is there any solder touching the micro USB mounting point and one of the D pads? That was one of my issues. I did not have the solder bridged from D- to D+ but I did have it bridge from D+ to the mounting point of the microUSB onto the pi.

So if you disconnect the D+ and D- wires soldered onto the pads of the Pi0 and then plug in a keyboard or gamepad directly into the micro USB port of the Pi0 when booted retropie does not detect anything?

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:22 am

KaiKona808 wrote:
Definitely chasing a gremlin here. You mentioned you cleaned up the soldering on the D+ and D- pads so those are not bridged. Is there any solder touching the micro USB mounting point and one of the D pads? That was one of my issues. I did not have the solder bridged from D- to D+ but I did have it bridge from D+ to the mounting point of the microUSB onto the pi.

So if you disconnect the D+ and D- wires soldered onto the pads of the Pi0 and then plug in a keyboard or gamepad directly into the micro USB port of the Pi0 when booted retropie does not detect anything?

That was my thought as well, but got out my braided cable to wick up all solder and I made sure that area was clean. Then I swapped out those cables for new ones just incase there happened to be a break in the line somewhere, even though the multimeter said there wasn't.

BUT. Stupid me, I think I did forget to disconnect the AIO from the USB on the Pi when I plugged in a gamepad directly to the Pi. I wasn't thinking that the AIO with the gamepad could have been conflicting one another too, when I tested the gamepad being directly plugged in. So that will be the first test before connecting the AIO to the computer.

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:15 am

WoodMill wrote:
KaiKona808 wrote:

That was my thought as well, but got out my braided cable to wick up all solder and I made sure that area was clean. Then I swapped out those cables for new ones just incase there happened to be a break in the line somewhere, even though the multimeter said there wasn't.

BUT. Stupid me, I think I did forget to disconnect the AIO from the USB on the Pi when I plugged in a gamepad directly to the Pi. I wasn't thinking that the AIO with the gamepad could have been conflicting one another too, when I tested the gamepad being directly plugged in. So that will be the first test before connecting the AIO to the computer.
Best of luck. I chased my gremlin for about a month. Gives us an update when you get it tested without the AIO wired to the pads on the Pi.

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 pm

KaiKona808 wrote: Is there any solder touching the micro USB mounting point and one of the D pads? That was one of my issues. I did not have the solder bridged from D- to D+ but I did have it bridge from D+ to the mounting point of the microUSB onto the pi.

This had to have been the problem. Took a closer look at the pads and the mounting points. It didn't look like it was bridged, but that pad was closer to the mounting point than I thought. Cleaned off the pads again, giving extra attention to the spaces between the pads and the pads and the mounting points.

Plugged in the Xbox controller, and it was detected. Okay! Pi hasn't been fried! Could it be the AIO is? I then took it extra careful to make sure nothing extended past either of the pads when soldering the AIO back up. Powered on, and booted right into the menu, meaning it sensed the AIO gamepad. Tested, and it worked.

So damn gremlin hiding in plain sight. Thanks [mention]KaiKona808[/mention]! Probably wouldn't have double checked it if you hadn't said anything. Now to put it all back together an have a working GBZ! :)

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 pm

@WoodMill glad I could actually be of some help :D :lol: Gremlins suck but it is a damn good feeling beating one.